Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pool safety ect

Starting to feel at home...

Pool safety ect

So I will have 4 kids above the age of 5 for the summer and I want to get a pool as all of them love to swim and so do I.......that being said I wanna know your thoughts 1.I am gonna get a pool that is tall so the lil ones (1 and 2 year olds) Have no possible way to get in.....
    2. I plan on taking the ladder out when the pool is not in use
    3. I plan on having a talk with all the bigger ones in regards to pool safety and my strict rules (the group I have is excellent)

Am i missing anything, Is it a bad idea regardless of rules and such, water and kids makes me nervous to but if we follow strict routines and rules and play it extra extra safe shouldn't it be fine or no?

Euphoric !
    I think as a parent I would be concerned with one person supervising all those children in a pool. If one gets into trouble that leaves multiple children unsupervised while you help the other one.

Outgoing
    We have an inground pool, but I will NOT be using it while the daycare is open. I spent many years as a lifeguard, and I don't even swim if I'm home alone. There needs to be two adults present whenever anyone is in the pool, and I will not take the risk of allowing daycare children in the pool. I feel badly because my 4 year old dcg has been asking when we will be able to go swimming, and I just remind her that her grandma has a pool LOL

#4- the big kids are only allowed in the pool when the lil ones are napping....??? therefore I will only be watching them?
    Is that fair?

Shy
    I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it. In my opinion, it's just not worth the risk. Do you have current lifeguard certification? Do you know exactly what to do if there is a spinal injury in your pool and have the proper equipment at hand?

Another thing to consider, have you talked to your insurance about rates if you do get a pool that dc children will be using? Will they still cover you?

We plan on sticking with sprinklers at our dc.

I would not install a pool either for DCK, too much liability. I have even written in my parent-caregiver agreement that I will never take them into a pool or inside any container with water. I though if I were one of my parents that would give me a peace of mind.

Outgoing
    I have a pool and no dck's are allowed in it. Now my kids are older and in the after noon they are allowed to swim. This is still their house, and my oldest is a lifeguard and like I said my own kids are older and they are all taking life guarding courses.

what about a shallow kiddy pool?

Shy
    4 kids and you outside with a pool while the little ones nap? nope, wouldn't do it.. what if you had to run in the house suddenly? what if something happened to you while 4 5yr olds are in the pool.. too young in my opinion. As a parent I would never have my child at a place where the daycare provider would let them use a pool.

We have a pool, however we don't play in our back yard during day care hours....we are planning on installing a retractable gate to separate the future play area from the pool area but I'm still going to be extremely cautious about being back there even with it gated off and safety hatched...until then, no gate = no back yard time and solely because of the pool....a giant body of water and my 5 very active toddlers just makes me toooooo nervous!