Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Making herself throw up

Have any of you ever had a child make him/herself throw up if they didn't like the food or just didn't want it?

This pasted Wednesday I had one of my dcg's (2 years old) throw up at lunch.
    I have given her this meal before and she has always liked it. She seemed to be enjoying it. I went to use the bathroom and when I came out she was throwing out.

I called her mom to come and get her. Her mom then told me that she will make herself throw up if it is a new food, doesn't like it or just doesn't want to eat it.

I then informed the mother that she still had to come and pick up her child and keep her home for 24hrs. The mom picked her up an hour later. She didn't have a problem with picking her up or keeping her home the next day. The agencies and my policy is if your child throws up you pick up and can only return after being symptom free for 24 hours. It doesn't matter the reason for throwing up.

I would have done the same. Call a parent to pick up. If dcg is doing this on purpose, I imagine that when it starts to impact dcm's life and work then she will step up to the plate and nip this in the bud.

How long has this dcg been in your care? is this a new thing?

The dcg has been here since mid December and this way the first time she has throw up in my care.

Euphoric !
    I haven't had a child throw up because of food, but I have had one who threw up in her bed when she was upset and didn't want to nap. In that case, I just changed her and her sheets and put her back to bed, saying very little and she stopped really quickly. Maybe paying little to no attention to it would be the best...just clean up and remove her food and move on. Of course, there is the possibility that she isn't doing it on purpose and it really does make he gag...but again, you don't want to feed into that and give it attention!

Euphoric !
    I had a little boy who wouldn't eat food that touched, no combo food ever. There was one time when I told him that he was not getting anything else because I had cooked the food in the crockpot and separated it on his plate and he told me it tasted bad. He knew! Anyway, he threw up all over his plate and I called his Mom to come and get him. So I never made him eat crockpot food again but the very next day he tried to throw up again, most likely thinking he would get his Mommy. Little kids are darn smart, you know! But it never happened again.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.