Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OHIP number

OHIP number

I am planning on making emergency information cards to take for outings in case of an emergency. I have all kids' information including OHIP number in the Emergency form that parents filled out for me. What I am not sure is whether it would be of help for first responders to have that number or is that something that parents can provide when they arrive to the hospital.

I do not want to include in the cards personal information that is not necessary (just in case it get lost for example).

I have called 911 for a couple of times (but it had to do with my family). I cannot remember when the OHIP card/number was provided... I think I was more concerned about the issue than the ambulance/hospital procedure...

Has any of you had called 911 for a DCK? Did they requested the OHIP number when they arrived? Did parents provide it when they met the child at the hospital?

Thanks for your advice!

Forgot to tell you that I was planning to include in the card the following:

-name of the child
    -name of both parents
    -phone numbers
    -date of birth
    -picture

I was even planning to make one for my son stating that he is the daycare provider's son, in case something happened to me and I cannot communicate.

Euphoric !
    My understanding is that in ON, healthcare will be provided regardless of health coverage in an emergency. That being said, the family can provide this later.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Having the OHIP number gives the paramedics/hospital info about the child and more and more as they make records electronic. It will call up a lot of the emergency info on the child that could make a difference in care as it will be a record of past medical services.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have emergency medical forms with me at all times and they are meant to be given to paramedics in the case of an emergency so they can begin life saving measures. So it includes the OHIP # and parents info, immunizations, child's history of illnesses, allergies, and the parent's express permission for the child to be transported to the hospital and they will accept responsibility for the ambulance payment. I would be the one to call the parents to tell them where to meet their child at which hospital. Thank goodness, I've never had to call 911 or had any injuries at the daycare.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

I had to take my toy boys to the er at Cheo this pasted weekend. The are both fine. I asked about having OHIP cards. They said the sooner they can get the number the better, but if the parents don't want to give you the number they can give it straight to the hospital. I always ask for the number, but its up to the parents weather or not they give it to you.

I do an emergency card as well. I make two copies (both laminated) One copy is for the paramedics the other is for me. the card had a photo and all contact infor. etc. on it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post: