Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sandbox

Outgoing

Sandbox

Hi all!
    I am just wondering do you all have sandboxes? Do you feel sand is safe?What is the safest sand to use?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Daycare123; 05-06-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Outgoing
    I have 2 or 3 sandboxes, and use play sand. I did buy purple sand once, but I found that it dyed the kids hands. They love sand boxes, heck even my own big kids play in them.

Outgoing
    I have a sandbox. I had it before I opened my daycare, but it's great to have! Obviously you have to watch the younger kids like hawks because they will put the sand in their mouths, but that's really the only thing. I have a zero tolerance policy about throwing sand, you throw sand ONCE and you're out. I keep a little dust pan brush outside near the sandbox, and when everyone is done with it, we brush off.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    So nobody is worries over the contreversy over the safety of sand?

Euphoric !
    I'm not worried about it at all. I can have my kids live in a bubble or eat a little sand and dirt once in a while. I think there are "safe sands" for purchase but when I looked into them they were quite a bit more money. I do sit with them and tell them "no mouth" if they try to eat it but I don't loose any sleep if they eat some.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Daycare123 View Post
    So nobody is worries over the contreversy over the safety of sand?
    I am feeling like I have missed something...there is a controversy over sand??? I don't have a sandbox, but I take the kids to the park daily and there is a whole lot of sand there...which is why I don't bother with a sandbox as I don't want it all over my yard. The little ones all go through the stage when they try to eat the sand, but they get over it soon enough. What is wrong with sand?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Sunnydays- I didn't know there was a controversy either! apparently there is-it seems like there is controversy over all the things I used to do as a child lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daycare123 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Okay, so are we not supposed to let kids play at parks with sand anymore? All my naighbourhood parks are filled with sand. Sheesh! If it's not one thing it's another! I never thought about what the sand was made of...I assumed it was natural I guess.

Outgoing
    Yeesh! I used to drink hose water. I'm pretty sure I ate my fair share of sand as a kid, too!