Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Morning nap

Starting to feel at home...

Morning nap

I have this 18 MO that is still napping in the morning... if he doesn't nap, he is a MONSTER ...
    But its really the only time we have to go play outside! in the afternoon, I have parents picking up starting 3:30 ( so just after snack) and i live in a condo so there is no backyard to go to!

How would you slowly remove his morning nap? do I just wait until he doesn't need it anymore. Parents still give him his morning nap during the week end and they insist that he takes his nap until his 2?!?!

Also, mom insist that her son have 2 10 onces bottles during the day.. plus all the meals and snacks. Should I keep on giving him his bottle or stop? I've noticed that he is eating less with me... mom think it's just a phase.... I think its because his belly is so full of liquid..!

Outgoing
    What time is his arrival time? I have 3 full timers who are between 11-14 months and my own 12 month old son. All 4 nap twice a day. My son is awake 6am and my arrivals are between 6:45-7:30 so they still need a morning nap at this point. Can you try putting him for a nap shortly after he arrives? Then waking him if he goes over an hour?
    I feed them breakfast and they all go back for morning nap 8/8:30-10 then we get up and play, have lunch for 11, then have almost 2 hours until afternoon nap which is when we go for our walk and play outside.
    Afternoon nap is 1-3, snack 3:15. Pickups begin 3:30-5 and we are outside again.
    As for his bottle, I just weaned 2 off their bottles. Both weren't drinking more than a couple of ounces so I started putting their milk in cups which they have at breakfast, and lunch. Water for afternoon snack. Parents are on board with me as well, thank goodness!
    Good luck! Hope this helps.

Euphoric !
    Well I don't allow bottles after 1yr .... So that would not be an issue in my daycare. What is in the bottles ? Milk ? Formula? Is this parent supplied ? Who washes the bottles? If it were me I just wouldn't give it to him.
    As for am naps put him down at 8 and for only 30-45 mins then wake him up and go out..... The shorter nap and fresh air will make him sleep longer in the aft. Then slowly decrease the am nap till its gone.

Starting to feel at home...
    My Daughter is almost 15 months and I just cut out her morning nap...although some days I think she still needs it, she won't nap in the afternoon or it takes her almost an hour to fall asleep in the afternoon! She is super cranky by lunch so I started putting her down for her afternoon earlier and give her lunch earlier too. She actually sleeps better and longer in the afternoon with this new schedule! I have two other babies in care that take a morning nap but I put them down right when the get here and go outside after they wake. Sometimes I wake them too as I know they will still get their afternoon nap!

Euphoric !
    I have children start just before they turn 1 year old who drop their morning naps quickly because we have busy mornings but I make sure I serve lunch shortly after 11 and get them into beds for naps shortly after 12. Small babies can't stay awake that long. As they grow I gently nudge things back to later times.

Right now I have a 14 month old baby who sometimes naps in the stroller for 15 minutes or so as we return from parks or other outings and she still goes to bed for afternoon naptime well, but otherwise she doesn't have a morning nap.

Experiment!

I don't tell parents when to stop their children from having bottles, that's their decision in my opinion and I do as they ask. But I might point out that another child the same age has been done bottles for a while or put out other such hints.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    I have an 18 month old that is still napping two hours morning and two hours afternoon and I generally wake her from both of them. She is not sleeping through the night and making up for it in the day. I know the extra sleeping daytime isn't helping but feel it isn't my job to put up with a cranky kid - they can make the transition on weekends. Her bedtime is too late but they seem to think if they put her down earlier that she will just wake up more when the reality is probably the opposite.

On the bottle issue I just accept them from the parent but use them in my own way. As long as mom provides them the child comes with milk and saves me the cost as once on just a cup I would be providing the milk. But I put milk in a cup and let child take as much as they can and then give the rest later in the bottle. Gradually they use the cup more and there is less left to put back into the bottle. But I don't have an age cut off for this it just happens developmentally like everything else.