Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Just Say No...to one-year old...

I think I'm a little rusty in the baby department...or maybe in the mischievous baby department. At 13 months do they understand "no" ? Does she not understand me or does she just not care? I know it's the age to touch and explore anything and everything, but I say no and she just keeps on going...I say it sternly and she just keeps on going.... I divert her attention and move her away saying no and she just crawls right back.....

Starting to feel at home...
    My daughter is 14 months and she absolutely understands "no", "don't touch", "out of your mouth" etc. But she will look right at me with a smirk and do it anyways! In that case I remove her and redirect her to a different toy/area (and she throws a huge fit but doesn't go back to whatever it was she was doing that I asked her not to). They love to test their limits at this age and see what they can get away with! I say, just be consistent!
    I also have a 12 month old and a 13 month in care and they both look at me if I say "no" and usually listen!

Outgoing

How about...

Try saying "Stop" instead? I currently have 3 full time 11-14 month olds plus my own 12 month old and they ALL know what "No" means and all smile and continue doing what they aren't supposed to be doing.
    I have tried saying "Stop" and getting down to their level, stern voice, eye contact. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. In my experience though, I find when they are tired they are even MORE defiant.
    I have my daycare on the main floor of my house so our playroom is gated off and I have a "confinement" playpen in the dining room in plain site. If after 3 strikes kiddos go in there for a few minutes then are welcome to return back to our group. Doesn't take long but they "get it".

Euphoric !
    It takes a lot of repetition and consistency before they start to learn your rules etc. At this age, I see it as the time when you are laying the groundwork so that in the next few months they will come to know what they can and can't get away with and what the rules are. It is also an age of a lot of physical redirection along with your words (ex. saying "no toys in the mouth" and then physically removing the toy if they do not do it themselves). With tons of repetition and consistency, they do get it...but it takes time and patience. Sounds like you are on the right track! Also, one thing is to remove tempations where possible. For example, if you know she is going to be constantly getting into something, I would just move it to where she can't get it and that removes the power struggle. Avoiding problems is sometimes a good place to start. Good luck!

Expansive...
    I also recommend removing what ever it is they won't leave alone. It saves you from constantly having to keep them out of things they shouldn't be in. For sure they understand 'no', but you don't want to be having to say it constantly all day long, or it will stop having any real meaning.

Euphoric !
    I completely agree with the above posters. I've always said "Don't touch", etc. instead of No. If you just say No it doesn't mean anything. Put yourself in the baby's mindset. How do they know what No means? It works great for me to use other words for babies, simple words that they can understand, but definitely better instructions than just the word No.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Expansive...
    I have a 15mos old and she understand everything!! Too much at times LOL

Like pp have said, if she's in a testing mood I remove the item or her from the area. She'll have a fit but will not go back there. She's "pleading her case" lol

She knows what you're saying....even if she's never heard the word NO at home she HAS heard it with you and knows to stop etc. So she's 100% testing you....be consistant

I want to add that I'll start off with "don't put your fingers in your mouth/no climbing the stairs/dont touch" etc.....after having to say it for the 3rd time in a row that's wen I'll say NO and she KNOWS what it's for...
    Last edited by Mamma_Mia; 05-07-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!