Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar

One spot... many calls

I would like to know how you all function when you have an opening and you get many calls for the one place.
    Do you have a phone interview first ? Do you meet everyone that calls?
    What do you do ?

Personally I do a phone interview to make sure we have the same values,make sure my hrs work for them etc.After the phone interviews I have usually narrowed it down to one but if I haven't I meet the families one at a time in my home to talk more and to show them the daycare, see how they interact with their children and myself.
    I always make sure that the families know how I function ( multiple visits) as I hate keeping them in the dark.
    So far this method has worked wonderfully for me.
    Does any one have any tips or tricks they use ??

Starting to feel at home...
    I do a brief phone interview to make sure the basics work: hours, allergies, ages. The rest I'd prefer to talk about in person to see if we click.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

I start off by weeding them out via email (hours, ages etc). Then we do a phone interview, if things sound good then I give them a time to come and visit after hours, meet my DH and children. After the initial in-person interview, DH and I will discuss (it helps me to bounce things off of him). If things look good we will then schedule a "during daycare hours" interview.

Outgoing
    I've just done breif phone or email interviews and then have met up with people from there. I like the idea of having an after hours meet so DH can be there too. He is usually home before kids get picked up anyways so I like the parents to meet him too. I've just always had the parents meet him during pick up one day. I've never thought of having an after hours consult. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I prefer the after hours consult first because I don't have strangers in my home during daycare time. I don't like the idea of not knowing who will be knocking at my door when I've got lots of children here, and my husband is not home. We do an after hours consult and then, if they like, they are welcome to come back during daycare hours to see how we all mesh.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~