Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

When will it pick up

So I had a part time girl (two days a week) leave at the end of April as her mom went on mat leave, I had found someone to replace her but the new boy isn't going to work out and I have given notice.
    I have been advertising for one spot since January. The interviews go well, but then nothing. In the last two months I haven't got a hit. When does the daycare scene usually pick up again?

Euphoric !
    Kelley, big hugs, because I've had a space empty for a month and I've had several enquiries and interviews but haven't found the right family yet. Keep the faith and keep advertising. There is no definitive answer and no rule. That's why interviewing is the hardest part of the job - or is that just me?
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Shy
    I really think it depends on where you live and how many providers are around. I live in an extremely family friendly community and the centres here charge a lot so it is pretty easy to find kids. That being said I think that sometimes when you really need to find a child the spot can remain empty for awhile and it can just be the wrong time. Are you comfortable asking for feedback about why the parents who interviewed you didn't choose you? You may find out that your price is too high or there were other concerns. Make sure to ask your current daycare parents to refer their friends to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Kelley, big hugs, because I've had a space empty for a month and I've had several enquiries and interviews but haven't found the right family yet. Keep the faith and keep advertising. There is no definitive answer and no rule. That's why interviewing is the hardest part of the job - or is that just me?
    It's not just you. I dread interviewing. I'm good at it. But I still do not like it. I find it the most tedious and anxiety causing aspects of this business. From the crazy cleaning spree, to the printing of policy books, forms, etc. To arranging my kids and hubby to be gone from the house, either banishing them to the yard or the park across the street, to the no-shows and the inevitable flakey parents ("can you promise that special snowflake will not nap because we like her down by 7:00pm)that pass through my daycare doors. Ugh. Then the ones that never call back to let you know either way.

I have 2 back-to-back interviews tomorrow. Did I mention I dread interviews.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Things will pick up in the Fall. Once September/October hits, providers start getting phone calls. At least, it has been for the last 4 years I've been doing daycare. Again, a lot does depend on where you are located and how many providers are in your area.

I've had 2 spots open since May. I've had multiple interviews and even filled the 1 spot. twice. both times it fell through. What are the odds right? In the last few days the calls have been coming.

Shy
    I'm feeling the effects as well. I've been trying to fill a PT spot for what seems like forever now and a soon to be FT spot when my current FT goes on mat leave. I've had many inquiries for next year but how do you guarantee someone a spot 6 months in advance?

..thought I'd update you all on the 2 interviews I had lined up tonight.

Interview 1 went well. 2.5yr old girl. Warm family. First time into daycare. But may only need part time.

Interview 2: No show. Did I call it or what? So I actually called 10 min. into our appt to see if she got lost, or is running late. The mother answers and she either just woke up or is drunk. I remind her of our 7:00pm interview. She asked for my address again. I told her that at this point, I'm not accepting any more interviews and she lost her time slot. Her response...."That's okay, the gov't won't pay for my child care anyway" :homy:

Red flag went up yesterday during our phone conversation when she asked if I accept post dated cheques. She also made a comment about how hard it is to find daycare

Yup. I love the interviewing/screening process.

Starting to feel at home...
    Very slow for me too!! I been advertising now for 3 weeks and no bites!! I'm starting to worry as I go back to work in a week and was hoping to have at least a couple of dck's to start and to be able to quit my job!! I'm starting to panic now too!!! What's going on???

Euphoric !
    Other mummy, just curious....why is it a red flag if they want to give post dated cheques. I don't have any that do this but know other dc's do it this way so parents aren't always bringing in cheques. I'm just curious what the issue with this would be. I have a spot that may be paid for for 4 months without use and was thinking of asking for post dated cheques so they didn't have to come in every two weeks or even monthly.

It's been a bit slow here but I have quite a few inquiries about my spot now. I revamped my ad and I think that helped. I don't normally toot my own horn on my ad's but this time I did and I think it helped. Now to just get a family to commit!

5LM, I do not take post dated cheques for a brand new client. She wanted me to start caring for her 2 children next week, but date the cheque for later in the month. I don't think so. Cash in hand first thing Monday morning.