Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Question Pick up/Drop off for the bus?

So I am currently watching a young young who will be in grade one next year. So he will have to be dropped off at the bus and picked up after school from the bus.

The bus stop is about 5 houses down from my house. My concern is getting him to and from everyday along with my 6 other young ones that I watch and getting him afterwards. I will be asking DCM if the bus will be able to stop in front of my house as it will be a lot if trouble getting the young ones packed up and waiting for a bus for 10 minutes as we have to be there early just in case the bus is early.

So my question is this?? If the bus won't stop in front of my house, what is a fair rate to charge DCM for dropping and picking him up after schoo?

Keep in mind that I live in alberta and the weather here in the fall will be getting very cold right now I am charging 5/hr for 1 hr in the morning and 1.5 after school

Thanks for the help

Outgoing
    I'm in Alberta too! It is waaaasay too cold for me to do bus runs with the kids, I won't even consider it so you're brave to take it on!!!

My hourly rate is $10. I'd definitely charge that considering you'll now have to haul all the kids out into the cold for 10-20 mins a day.

Euphoric !
    If you do an hourly rate then figure out the time from the time you start to get the 6 kids ready to go out to the time you actually get back. That will add at least an extra hour to the day.

I no longer do school age because of the hassles of getting everyone else out there in awful weather.

I guess I could do that but then that would equal out to about 20/day just for before and after school.. I only charge 30/day.. Is 20 too much. I kind of think it is but then again I'm not too sure because getting 6 kids ready to go under the age of 5 is pretty hard..???

Euphoric !
    My b and a rate is $25/day but my full date rate is $43/day

Euphoric !
    If the bus won't stop in front of your house I would tell mom you can't do it...it's a hassle! If you are interested in doing it then I would charge the $20 per day and let her make the decision to use your services or not.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Thanks! Everyone for your replies!

Torontokids, that's probably what I am going to do its I didn't realize just how tough it is getting everyone out the door on time and packed into the wagon and then walking about a black down the street and then waiting for ten minutes.. Not too mention that's only in the nice weather.. I can't imagine doing it in weather that's like -15!!

Shy
    This is why I chose to only offer preschool daycare. Now, I'll have to figure out what I'll do when my own son starts school in a year and a half, but I'll worry about that then

I'm also wondering how much just to charge for just dropping a dck off for school at 12:45- I have 2 one-year olds to care for as well, so it would be a major change to my day- I was going to charge $5/day, but after reading your posts, I'm thinking that's too low- maybe I'll charge $10/day- what do you think?

Euphoric !
    Is the child in your care already as in just going to school for the afternoon. In that case I would continue to charge the parent the full day rate in the sense that using the time usage equation you start just after 12 to do diapers, dress, walk to the school and then walk back so the time you are "directly busy" because of the chid is till you get back from the school even though the child isn't with you. The two hours the child is gone is the same two hours the others are napping. Child is eating lunch and snack and doing the morning crafts that cost money so they are using the bulk of the pay for the day so a good argument for charging the full rate.