Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Vaccines and childcare

I hope this doesn’t cause any debate as I know the subject of vaccines can be touchy…I personally do not vaccinate my children (1 and 2.5) and it isn’t in my contract that I require parents to have up to date vaccines either.... but what I am wondering is, should I be telling people (in an interview say) that my kids are not vaccinated? What is the policy in center care about that? Can it be waved as it can be in the school board with a written letter, etc? Perhaps other parents have a right to know, but I don't think other parents know of the specific children in JK/SK that are not vaccinated either? I don't hide it, and if asked I would tell them...but do I just come out and say it in the interview?
    Any thoughts? Thanks ladies!

Expansive...
    Hmmm....good question. Looking forward to seeing what all the ladies have to say about this...I didn't vaccinate my first either, however we eventually changed our minds and now both our kids are fully vaccinated. I guess I don't really see why you would have to say anything, EXCEPT in the event that your children contract a serious disease or virus like whooping cough or something, you would probably have to close I would think...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

As a parent, if a daycare tells me they do not request vaccination cards I just will move on and find another daycare. I am currently looking a back up daycare for my son for doctor's appointments, etc. and was happy that my future caregiver is requesting vaccination record as part of the requirements. I have to admit that I assumed that she was requesting vaccination cards from everyone. I would have realize it later if she did not asked for my son's. I think that is something that should be disclosed during interview as some parents could feel cheated if find out in the future. Maybe your families have the same believes as you do since you never requested theirs.
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 05-08-2013 at 01:37 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Nobody has to know your personal views or private things about your family. I don't think you should tell people. I have a child in my daycare who is not vaccinated and I have no issues with that at all.

I do have a policy in my contract that babies must be immunized on Fridays and kept home until Monday and there are 2 reasons for that, I'm protecting the non-vaxed child in my care and parents should have their newly vaxed child home with them in case of fever or other adverse reaction to the shot. Just my two cents!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Wow MomOf4, that is very thoughtful of you to have that in your policy to protect everyone! I am in no way hiding that my children are not vaccinated and if asked why, I do not mind sharing at all...but I also do not like to voice it because I don't want parents to feel guilty or second guess their decision to vaccinate. We all do what we think is best for OUR families.
    I figure that if in another daycare (center or not) and in school as well...you won't know if another child is vaccinated or not so I am not sure if I should mention it...perhaps mentioning it would make them question for no reason?! I don't know!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DaycareLady For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Daycarelady, you are not hiding things you are keeping your beliefs confidential and there is nothing wrong with that. My oldest daughter has not vaccinated her 4 children and it worries me because I vaccinated all my children, lived through mumps, measels and chicken pox back in the days before there were vaccinations. Mumps almost killed my Dad back in the 60's and I remember that! Anyway, I don't judge others and there's lots of research to prove and disprove the value of vaccinations, but whatever people choose to do should be confidential and private.
    Frederick Douglass

I do not vaccinate my own kids. I don't really care what dcparents do or don't do. I don't ask and I don't tell. It's none of their business. Now, if something comes up in conversation I might mention it. It's not like I hide the fact my kids are not vaxed but I don't go around broadcasting it either - just like I wouldn't broadcast anything else about my personal life.

I also have a 48 hour exclusion policy. If a dckid was vaxed they can not attend for a period of 48 hours. There are far too many chances of adverse reaction with regard to vaccines and children and I do not want that happening while in my care. Not to mention some vaccines shed and I don't want other kids exposed to that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Momof4 or Judy, would either of you mind sharing the wording you have in your contract for this? I would like to add it to mine but not sure how to word it! I would so appreciate it!

Euphoric !
    I give all the credit for this policy in my daycare to wonderful Judy. I've learned so much from her. I have no problem sharing my policy wording:

Vaccination or Flu Shots__________

Children should be kept home for 48 hours after any vaccination of any kind so I suggest a Friday afternoon appointment. The child should be with their parents in case of any adverse reaction and so that they can receive over the counter fever medication if needed. This is also to protect the other children in care at the daycare from live bacteria that may be included in vaccinations and may be transmitted to non-vaccinated children.
    Frederick Douglass

I don't understand why a parent would care that the provider's kids or other daycare kids aren't vaccinated. If their kid is vaccinated, that should do the trick. Right?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post: