Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Extending trial period

I have a 4 week trial period in my contract for new children during which time either parents or myself can terminate without notice if it is not working out. I have never had a child not adjust, but I have a 2 year old dcg who has been with me for more than 4 weeks now and still having a very hard time (crying, clinging to my leg all day long, etc). So I finally decided to extend the trial period by two weeks and see how it goes. I have never done this before, so I am not sure if the extra time will change anything or not and I am also not sure how the parents will take it (I emailed yesterday evening about it, but have had no repsonse so far). Does anyone have any experience with an extended trial period? Any advice?

I think it depends on what you can handle. If you currently feel overwhelmed I would say term now. I have had kids that some times took weeks or a few months before adjusting. I even had the one that cried the first day because he did not want to go home (kids are unpredictable!). What I mean is that it could make a difference or not in the following 2 weeks. If you think you could handle 2 more weeks then go for it, but if she is putting you over the edge right now the best thing would be to move on.

Euphoric !
    I know I can handle two more weeks...I am not at the edge yet, but I just don't want to get to the edge...LOL. I am hoping by doing it this way, it will give her parents a bit of time to think of a back-up plan in case it doesn't improve. I really like her parents and I like the child as well, but she reminds me of another child I had a couple of years ago who was just sensitive and easily set off and it got worse and worse over the 9 months I had her. I do not want it to end up like this!

If you want to give some time to the parents to find alternative care maybe you could terminate and make it effective in 2 weeks or whatever you feel comfortable with. If they find care at the end of the 2 weeks and she starts to be happy while in your daycare and you want her to stay I do not think parents would want to send her with someone else and start transitioning again. If they find daycare anytime within the 2 weeks it will be good for you and for the family.

Euphoric !
    I have had children cry and scream for a couple of months before and it's hard to take. But as long as the parents are doing their utmost to help the child adjust to daycare by keeping the same schedule on the weekends, taking my advice about dropoff and pickup, bringing in a blanket/cuddle for naptime so the playpen smells like home, and putting their faith in me, I will keep trying. Some children are happy right away and other children take a while to adjust. WE are the ones who have to keep our sanity! Good luck!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.