Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Accidents everyday!

Hi there! I was hoping I could get some advice from anyone who might know more about this... I apologize in advance for the length!

I have a 3 year old dck who has been having accidents nearly every day here - less often at home (mom told me at home she makes him go more often - I thought he could go on his own up until last week). He either doesn't make it there on time (usually happens on the bathroom floor), or will sometimes go through the seat while he's sitting (we've been working on having him point downward with his hands as well). It's strange to me that one child would have both issues. He's been potty trained for at least 3-4 months (if you can call this potty trained!).

He no longer naps, and about the time his parents cut out nap and soother was the time this started happening. I don't know if the lack of downtime or comfort object could be causing this... He would only usually nap an hour, and would get up to use the bathroom then (on his own -no accidents), before coming for free play.

He doesn't seem to mind when they happen - never shameful or embarrassed, doesn't try to hide it, which is good. Makes me think its nothing psychological, but I'm not a psychologist, so that doesn't hold much weight. He told me today while cleaning up that "it's ok because you [refering to me] have accidents sometimes too, and so does mom and dad." Caught me off guard a bit. When we potty trained my little guy we told him the typical "it's ok," "accidents happen" but I don't think we ever told him that we had them too. But I don't have an especially diverse knowledge of toilet training techniques.

He drinks a lot, and often after drinking he will have to go 2-3 times in half an hour - usually when he has the accidents. It seems like when he needs to go its pretty urgent. I've checked the warning signs for diabetes, he has 2 of the 8 I looked at. Parents have taken him in to ask about bladder infections, found nothing.

I am at a loss as to what this could be. I've been trying to get him to go more often, but when he has a 'spurt' of going 3 times in an hour or less, it catches me off guard. It's really hot, so I don't really want to limit his water intake, though he does drink way more than any of the other kids. Any ideas?!?

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    Hi there! I was hoping I could get some advice from anyone who might know more about this... I apologize in advance for the length!

I have a 3 year old dck who has been having accidents nearly every day here - less often at home (mom told me at home she makes him go more often - I thought he could go on his own up until last week). He either doesn't make it there on time (usually happens on the bathroom floor), or will sometimes go through the seat while he's sitting (we've been working on having him point downward with his hands as well). It's strange to me that one child would have both issues. He's been potty trained for at least 3-4 months (if you can call this potty trained!).

He no longer naps, and about the time his parents cut out nap and soother was the time this started happening. I don't know if the lack of downtime or comfort object could be causing this... He would only usually nap an hour, and would get up to use the bathroom then (on his own -no accidents), before coming for free play.

He doesn't seem to mind when they happen - never shameful or embarrassed, doesn't try to hide it, which is good. Makes me think its nothing psychological, but I'm not a psychologist, so that doesn't hold much weight. He told me today while cleaning up that "it's ok because you [refering to me] have accidents sometimes too, and so does mom and dad." Caught me off guard a bit. When we potty trained my little guy we told him the typical "it's ok," "accidents happen" but I don't think we ever told him that we had them too. But I don't have an especially diverse knowledge of toilet training techniques.

He drinks a lot, and often after drinking he will have to go 2-3 times in half an hour - usually when he has the accidents. It seems like when he needs to go its pretty urgent. I've checked the warning signs for diabetes, he has 2 of the 8 I looked at. Parents have taken him in to ask about bladder infections, found nothing.

I am at a loss as to what this could be. I've been trying to get him to go more often, but when he has a 'spurt' of going 3 times in an hour or less, it catches me off guard. It's really hot, so I don't really want to limit his water intake, though he does drink way more than any of the other kids. Any ideas?!?
    Diabetes came to mind right away for me. Many of the symptoms of diabetes are not things that you would be able to determine nor would the child likely be able to communicate to you. He may not know what blurred vision is or tingling in fingers and toes. The most prominent signs are excessive thirst and frequent urination. Lethary comes when sugars are dangerously high so its always best to check before you get to that stage. These are the signs
    ■Unusual thirst
    ■Frequent urination
    ■Weight change (gain or loss) - will not be aware of this unless you weigh the child
    ■Extreme fatigue or lack of energy - this comes when sugars are dangerously high
    ■Blurred vision - not sure a child would be able to communicate this to anyone
    ■Frequent or recurring infections - parents could attribute this to alot of things
    ■Cuts and bruises that are slow to heal - child has to have these to know if they heal slowly
    ■Tingling or numbness in the hands or feet - again, a child may not be able to communicate this
    ■ Trouble getting or maintaining an erection - no comment on this one LOL

My grandaughter was diagnosed last june with diabetes and the only signs were thirst and urination but because she was 7 we werent always aware of how often she went to the bathroom so we didnt catch on right away. She started to get tired but was also showing signs of flu so we treated her as if she had the flu for a day or so then the lethargy became extreme and off to hospital we went. sugars were very high and sadly this is usually the case. Because the basic symptoms can be attributed to other things and if there is no history of diabetes in the family people just may not know. If they fluff it off saying there is no history in the family, that is a major misconception. we have no type 1 in our family at all. I would mention it to mom to have him checked. trust me when I say that you dont want the responsibility of finding that child in a state where sugars have skyrocketed. Its a simple test.

Outgoing
    Thank you. I'll mention it to the parents.

They did mention that he's been a big drinker and pee-er since he was in diapers. Is that common with diabetes too?

Outgoing
    that was the case with my granddaughter. She was always a big drinker maybe a coincidence, not sure.