Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Question Ratio Question ( from Alberta)

Hi everyone.

Question about child ratios in Alberta.

Right now I am running a free flowing home daycare, we will start a more structured schedule come fall. What I want to know is here in Alberta you are allowed to have 6 kids plus your own. Come fall one of my kids will be in school full time. So I will be filling his spot, I was just wanting to know will I get into trouble if I have 1 child over my limit. It will only be for two Months.

I would like all the kids to know each other and be comfortable come the fall as it will be getting cold and we will be spending a lot of time in doors together.

I've been doing lots of research on this but haven't been able to find anything in regards to having 1 extra child??

Thanks!!

Expansive...
    I'm from Manitoba, but if you get caught over your limit you could face a fine and you could also lose your home insurance if they find out. I'm sure it would be similar consequences in Alberta.

Expansive...
    The way I understand is you can NEVER go over ratios, not for a minute, an hour or two months. So no I don't think you would be able to do it.

Starting to feel at home...
    You can be shut down if you are caught being over ratio in Alberta. I don't think it is worth it. Just because you are a private dayhome you are still required to follow they ratios set by the governemnt.

Outgoing
    I'm from Alberta as well and I have a friend who works for FCSS and she said that you can only have 6 including your own. And your own includes kids under 12, so you'd only have his spot free during the time he's at school.

I've never read anything that definitively says that this is the limit, but she's reported day homes that were over this limit so I'm sticking to better safe than sorry.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote is from the Child Care Licensing-Alberta Human Services-Government of Alberta site (http://humanservices.alberta.ca/fami...licensing.html)

"Child Care Licensing
    A licence is required under the Child Care Licensing Act to operate a child care program that provides care for seven or more children except for:

An education program provided under the School Act;
    A day camp, vacation camp or other recreational program that operates for less than 12 consecutive weeks;
    Supervision of children at a recreational facility, retail centre or other commercial establishment where the parents of the children remain on the premises and are available; or
    Private babysitting in a private home for six children or less. The caregiver's own children are not included in these six.
    Approved family day homes are not required to be licensed as they are monitored by the family day home agency.
    The Child Care Licensing Regulation sets out the minimum standards that must be met in a licensed child care program to ensure that the health, safety and developmental needs of children are met.

Child and Family Service Authorities (CFSA) licence, monitor and issue enforcement actions. Should you have any questions regarding applying for a child care licence, please contact local Child and Family Services Authority."

It is a quick summary of ratios. If you are over ratio the authorities can close you down until they can ensure that everything is as it should.

Hope this helps.