Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Part timer won't stop crying... Major problems transitioning... HELP!

Hi everyone. I have been running my daycare since January and I love it...for the most part. Currently I have 3 full time 1 year olds and my own 1 year old. Its so much fun! I also have a part time little guy who comes on Wednesdays only that started in March. His parents are such nice sweet people. Never any issues with payment, lateness, pay me when he doesn't come even though I don't charge for sick days. Wonderful family. This little guy, however is giving me a real run for my money. The main problem is that he will not play with the other dck at all. Won't go near them. Crawls up to me and CLINGS to me crying his eyes out. I reassure him, give him a cuddle, tell him "You're okay xxx" and distract with a toy and move away. He follows and it begins again. I have a playpen in the next room that I have begun putting him in with toys but he still cries. He cries and clings to Mom at drop off, cries at snack, cries when I put him down for nap, cries at lunch, cries ALLLLLLL day long. He is also on a very different schedule than mine so I have been tweaking his to make it work with mine so that I get some kind of break during the day. All of my drop offs are between 6:45-7:15

My schedule:
    Breakfast 7:30
    Morning nap 8:30-10
    Lunch 11:00
    Afternoon nap 1-3
    Snack 3:15

His schedule:
    Drop off 9:30
    Breakfast 10:00
    Morning nap 11:00 (1-3 hours)
    Lunch 1:00
    Afternoon nap 3:00 (2-3 hours)
    Snack bottle 5:00
    Pick up 6:00

I have been waking him after 1 hour in the mornings and 2 hours in the afternoons so he actually has time with the other kids and so that we can all go out and enjoy the backyard. He refuses to do anything!

Mom is completely on board with him crying a bit and waiting his turn but does want him to try and keep his schedule as she works until 8pm and wants to see him before bed AND its only 1 day a week.

I am so tempted to just suck it up for the 1 day a week and keep his schedule as it is and have NO break at all the one day a week he is here.

Don't know what else to do. I hate that he has been coming for 2 months now and still is so upset. Mom and I have been arranging playdates at my house or the park on my low numbers day (Fridays) for an hour and he clings to her the entire time.

HELP!!!

Euphoric !
    One day a week is not enough. Personally, I wouldn't even take a child on for one day per week. I don't take part-timers at all anymore because of this. And for one day per week, if his schedule is totally different the other 6 days, you will have an overtired, grumpy baby on your hands. I personally, would end care. But if you want to keep him, either mom has to change his schedule to match yours (this is normally what I would do with a part-timer) or you have to keep him on his schedule that one day and have no break (I would not do this, but then I wouldn't take a one day per week child). Good luck!

Euphoric !
    yup one day just doesn't cut it ....my min is three days but I try to stay away from part time like the plague for this reason exactly.....you need to have him full time for at least a month to transition him and then start scaling him back a day a week but I would never go less then 3 day/week JMO

Part time is a challenge. I wouldn't put him in the playpen in another room. It'll only frighten him more. Try holding him more, until he's more comfortable. He'll come around when he feels more secure with you, not less.

Euphoric !
    Two things - I agree that less than 3 days/week never works.
    - You are going to lose your nut if you make a different schedule for all the children like that. When you sign on families, make sure they know YOUR schedule in advance and that the children who are established at the daycare already have their little bodies attuned to it. Therefore, the new family must adjust their schedule as much as possible to make their little one daycare-ready.

I will adjust our schedule a bit to accomodate a new baby but everybody has to be on the same routine so that I can have our days flowing nicely and we have time to get everything done.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing

Thanks

DCM was over today with him for an hour long playdate in which he clung to her the entire time and wouldn't even acknowledge me or the other kiddos. She kept saying that he is NEVER like this. I am not big on part timers either except when I have a couple that balance out one spot. This family balances out my other 4 day a week family.
    I am going to give him some more time as I know part timers take longer to transition. I have had so many inquiries lately from some really shady sounding families I don't want to lose this family quite yet.
    I think I will just keep him on his schedule but wake him up from his naps and try and co ordinate his meals and nap times so at least he can get used to eating his meal, whether its a snack or lunch with the other kids and if he cries he cries.
    Thanks for all your suggestions!

Euphoric !
    I understand what you are saying, but I made a policy that 3 days/week is my minimum for the sake of the child. You might want to think about that.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.