Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mommy gift

Euphoric !
    Mine ended up being very simple - to many grumpy kids this week to cooperate for hand tracing and such the craft needed. Instead we made a suncatcher in a frame. Got the idea from a card shared on a facebook page where they had done a heart and let child tear pieces of paper to put in the heart and the caption read Mom: I love you to pieces.

I gave each one a piece of contact paper sticky side up and a dish of tissue pieces. They placed them where they wanted and then I covered it with another piece of contact paper to create the suncatcher part. Then I had cut a frame from pink cardstock leaving a rounded part in upper left and bottom right corners - 2 per child. Then taped insert to one page, glued around edges using tacky glue and laid on top frame. I printed tags from the computer with the Mom to pieces phrase and cut them out using shaped scissors so they looked jaggedy. That went in the upper left rounded spot and I had some butterflies I had diecut from the cuttlebug and one of those went down in the bottom round spot. I put their names and year on the back. Simple, their part done fairly quickly although they enjoyed it and the assembly done by me during naptime. But as they finished we taped them to the kitchen window so they got to see the stainedglass effect and were suitably impressed. Even the baby who is 12 months old got to make one. Helped him put two pieces on then left him. He picked up the dish of pieces and in the process of playing with the lid dumped the pieces out onto the sticky mat which I then grabbed and sealed it up - got what I needed and he got to play with the lid so his design is more of mass in the middle but still the overlaps look nice. 2 moms and 3 dads picked up. Regardless kids were pleased but really for something so simple it was a lot of work which is why we do more games and activities with things I have made then actual crafts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsand crafts View Post
    Now that you are mentioning it... Moms were super excited and hugging and kissing their kids, but no one thanked me either ... I didn't even noticed it until you mentioned it... Still I think I'll keep doing my activities since kids spend long time focused on them and really look they are enjoying them... I have a mom that always thank me for almost everything I do, but not this time. Maybe it was the excitement of having a gift made by their little babies on Mother's day.
    Oh I know. I say this every holiday but I keep doing it because it's for the children. They are so excited when we are making Mother's Day, Father's Day & Christmas gifts for their parents. And it's more important that the parents appreciate us every day and thank us regularly for our great work all the time. It just bugs me now and then!

My dckids painted little pots and we filled them with flowers and butterflies, then we took foam sheets and the children glued on pictures of themselves at daycare with stickers and glitter. The two oldest children made necklaces for their Moms and the little boy who gave his Mom the presents at pickup yesterday was so happy when he put it on her. Our cards were great because I cut out a pot that they coloured, traced their hands on green paper for green stems and we pasted flowers on the fingers and thumb. I used Michelle's poem for the inside.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Oh I know. I say this every holiday but I keep doing it because it's for the children. They are so excited when we are making Mother's Day, Father's Day & Christmas gifts for their parents. And it's more important that the parents appreciate us every day and thank us regularly for our great work all the time. It just bugs me now and then!
    I know what you mean! It should be nice that all parents were showing their appreciation for our hard work... Taking care of 5 kids, keep them well fed, clean and stimulated takes a lot of work... when we were doing this craft (or any other nice activity) I do it for the kids. In the process it's nice that mom will have a gift a the end. I like to think that parents show their appreciation by paying on time, respecting my rules and my house and listen when I given them advice... I am pretty sure your families appreciate all your efforts since you have a great program!
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 05-11-2013 at 01:17 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

The older kids made pictures of their family and the younger ones we did the hand prints with the thumb and fore fingers touching to make a heart. We then transfered the images onto t shirts. I received a message last night from a mom whose daughter was so excited she opened her gift . The Mom said she was thrilled with the gift and said some nice things about me. I was on cloud nine (still am). I am so happy to hear a Mom loved her gift and appreciated the work that went into it. It really gave me a lift.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsand crafts View Post
    How did you dye them?
    I had several different bowls of water, and i used food colouring to dye the water. Then, all the kids dipped the doily in the water and then I laid them out to dry. It was fun for all of them, even the little ones