Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Ideas to keep lunch time prep sane

Hey guys!
    Do you guys have any tips that work for you while you are getting lunch ready?
    Most of my lunch stuff is pre done as quite often I use leftovers and when it's not left overs its pretty basic stuff that doesn't take long but the 15-20 minutes that it takes to get everything heated up and dished out or prepared 9/10 times turns into mayhem. The kids act up, get hurt (from getting too wound up), literally they get this burst of energy that can quite often kill the whole morning of enjoyment. Somedays I'm like 'that's it! Everyone in your high chairs!' That way they keep their hands to themselves and stop climbing up the walls.

I know my biggest problem is that my attention isn't 100% on them and that some of them are just about ready for their naps (I've actually moved lunch to 11:30 so those who are tired can be in bed by 12:15-12:30). But I'm not sure what I can do to keep them busy for that short time. I do our circle time stuff from about 10:30-11 and then start getting things ready a little after 11. I thought of doing activities at the table but I don't want a whole bunch of clean up just before serving lunch either.

Any simple ideas or tricks that work for you guys?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to godsgirl For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    You could have special toys that you only bring out during the lunch prep time. Ie. Make a basket with some different books, toys, Vtech talking toys, puzzles that only comes out during that time so they will be exploring that. Then put it away during nap and until the next day.

What works for me is that we are usually playing in the upstairs playroom before lunch and then I bring everyone down to the main level where the kitchen is while I prep lunch. Since we are changing locations and toys the kids are usually pretty happy because the main floor is 'fresh' for them during that 20-30 minutes. I also will sing or talk to them depending on how much interaction they want from me or how much I need to distract them.

I have had stages where the kids were younger and the lunch prep was a 20 minute treehouse time. Then lunch would be ready and the TV was back off. Now we haven't done TV at daycare since November and no one seems to mind or miss it.

I think anything that changes things up for them during that time and is different or new from the rest of the day would work best.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If I am finding that "free play" while I prep doesn't work (for all the reasons you listed!!), I will set everyone up at the table while I prep. The older ones can color (if they don't want to, tough. They still sit at the table). The babies can have some special toys that they don't usually see.
    I have also recently started making and using sensory bags. I have some large ones made for the big kids, and some smaller ones for the babies. That will usually hold them over for just long enough!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm about to throw together a tuna, rice, cheese casserole to pop into the oven for lunch when we return from the park tomorrow. Or I fill my crockpot in the evening and start it out in the morning. I have also been known to put on a Dora or Diego cartoon for 15 minutes when the children are a little crazed and I have too much to do to get things cleaned up and ready for lunch. Those cartoons turn kids into little zombies! That's why I don't like to do it though. I've also done as MominAlberta stated and I've set them all up at the table with colouring so that they are already in their boosters. You do what you have to do!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    My table sits more kids than I have old enough to sit at it. I do diaper changes and put babies in their high chairs with the plastic or cloth books and they are near the big kitchen window so can look out for something to do. I set up an activity at each place at the table. The kids can move to any empty chair to sit and do the activity at that space. When done they put the pieces back and move on. Keep it simple like one puzzle or pegboard or a small feltboard or file folder game. This is a great time for toys with small parts you don't leave out all the time. It takes only a second or two to gather them all up and move them back to the shelf in the playroom (diningroom next door) as lunch is ready to be served. I tell them to finish up while I dish up the plates and then it cools while I put away and put bibs on.

I like having them in the kitchen ready and means the playroom is cleaned up because it is also the nap room for the older kids.

apples and bananas
    TV

yup... I said it! When all else fails it's a simple 20 minute educational show. It's such a treat around here that they all stop what they're doing and focus on the tv.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I prefer to put the little ones in their booster and have the big kids sit at the table. Then I give them a book or two and they read and look at pictures while I prepare lunch. Even TV isn't enough at my house because of my two 16 month olds that always manage to get into something while my back is turned. I do however do TV starting at 4:45 when I start getting my dinner ready and my two little ones are out the door by then so it works out.

Outgoing
    I try to have most everything prepared so I just have to heat it up but there are days that I have to "cook". My two oldest kids are fine left in the playroom but my 1yr old and 18month old sit in their highchairs. I dont give them toys because they just throw them on the floor and i'm constantly picking up over and over which makes my prep time longer so we will sing songs and i usually give them a bit of finger food or cheerios or something to nibble on while i get everything ready.

Outgoing
    For my group, lunch prep is the beginning of winding down for them. Everyone goes and picks a book for before nap or a puzzle and sits quietly while I prep. The 12 month olds get in their highchair with a toy or sit and have a "big" kid read to them. This works for me as I know where everyone is, they are starting to wind down and will be ready for nap after lunch and it is safe so no where is running around the kitchen while I am cooking. Like the others have posted, if its been a particularly busy today, I turn on pbs but that is a rare occurence

Expansive...
    I do exactly as gramma describes. I like having the little ones already in their chairs so they can't get into anything or be under my feet while I'm getting the food ready.