Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home... zoomama's Avatar

Outside Activities

i'm trying to decide what to do about extra-curricular stuff for next year. the parents like to enroll their kids in gymnastics, piano, etc, and up until now it's expected that i will have the children changed and ready so parents can take them straight there when they are picked up near the end of the day.

i also have one child who goes to a preschool program from 12:00-2:45. The mom arranged this b/c she didn't want her daughter napping in the afternoon during quiet time.

i just find all this extra scheduling keeps us somewhat tied down in the mornings, shortens my break in the afternoon, and adds pressure when i need to remember to have children changed/make sure they've used the washroom etc for early pick up. (i have 6 children in care, 3 are 2yrs and under). i'm thinking of implementing a policy that parents must pick up children for extra-curriculars with enough time to prep them at home. also, i'm thinking of no longer accepting children enrolled in outside preschool. is this just getting too darn picky?

what are your thoughts? thank you in advance for your input!
    “Children are not a zoo of entertainingly exotic creatures, but an array of mirrors in which the human predicament leaps out at us. ”
    ― John Updike

No, you are not being picky. You choose the familys that work for you and your daycare schedule. I would definitely tell the parents to pick up a bit early to change their child for their activity. I am a daycare provider not a nanny.

Euphoric !
    I have had parents arrive and change their child at the front door before leaving as they were on their way to whatever activity but it is them doing the changing and I have said my goodbyes and gone back with the other kids by that point.

The preschool issue is no different than if a child went to JK which is something you will have to think about in terms of are you going to offer that service or release kids when they reach that age which is what I do.

Outgoing
    a lot of my dck are enrolled in those kinds of activities also and I have never been asked to have a child ready. Parents are responsible for that as far as I am concerned. I have other children to attend to and my own kids to get to activities. My dcp leave work early/ plan ahead for their kids activities. You are not being picky at all.

Starting to feel at home... zoomama's Avatar
    thank you all for that! it's so true about being a daycare provider, not a nanny.
    “Children are not a zoo of entertainingly exotic creatures, but an array of mirrors in which the human predicament leaps out at us. ”
    ― John Updike

NOT your job to change a child into extra-curricular clothing. Also, if you have a parent arrive at the last minute of your closing time they should not be taking extra time (YOUR time) to change their child.

YOU choose your clients and YOU choose what you will and will not tolerate or do.