Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Ever started 2 babies at once?

My rule for myself has always been to put at least 2 weeks between two new children starting in the daycare so that each one has some time to adjust before adding a new one. Now, I happen to have 2 spaces open for August and I already filled one awhile ago with a 12 month old who will start first week of August. Now I have a few families enquiring about starting their little one at that same time! I have been telling them that I cannot start two at once, but then I can't leave a 2 week gap because I have a week of my holiday planned 2 weeks after the first one starts (I can't change this as my families have already made plans according to it). Have any of you ever started two babies at once? If so, did it work out?? It seems like it would be mass chaos and they would feed off of each other...am I wrong?

Expansive...
    Yes I didn this twice and the 1st time they were both amazing babies; the 2nd time however they both cried all the time! LOL But they are both amazing now!

It really depends on the child if they have been exposed to tons of people and have been baby sat before without being upset then you will have no problems. If the children have never been away from there parents for longer that an hour here and there be prepared!

Expansive...
    How about doing a few transition days between now and then for a few hours to see how they will be!

Euphoric !
    It sounds like trouble to me! Also with you going on vac shortly after the first baby starts the chaos will just run on longer. What about advertising the 2nd one for Sept start?

You could make it work if you get creative. I know your daycare is in the basement and all the kids sleep down there. What if you sleep train the babies in different areas (One upstairs and one downstairs?) just until they settle in?

You may be surprised. I could see that they would catch on almost quicker because they would have to e.g. they would both learn quickly that they aren't going to get picked up right away etc. Also, then you don't have the first one expecting the extra 1:1 that happens when they start if you staggered them.

Euphoric !
    Torontokids, I actually am advertising it for September...but keep getting contacted by people who need it for July or August...LOL. I can't tranistion them in earlier as I am full until August. Now this could all be a moot point if my new dcg who has been with me for 6 weeks doesn't adjust this week (I have told her parents that this is the last week to keep trying). If she has to go, then I will take the family who wants the space for end of June and that will stagger them nicely...then I will wait for a slightly older child for the third spot and hope it will be for September. Boy I hate all the turnover in this business. When I started, I assumed that if people were happy with me I would have little turnover...LOL. Well I have never had nayone leave because they were unhappy...but there are mat leaves, starting school, switches to siblings daycare centre, etc and then there have been a couple that I had to terminate...makes for a whole lot of interviewing and transitioning!

Starting to feel at home...
    I transitioned 3 babies all at once and it was ridiculous! It was also in the middle of winter where we couldn't get any outside time! I have no idea how I made it through that time and will NEVER do that again!! You could totally do it, but if you have another choice then I wouldn't....or just go into it knowing it may be a tough few weeks, you could be surprised though! Plan for the worst but hope for the best!!

Euphoric !
    I have done two at a time and didn't find it made that much difference since the baby is the novelty for the other kids when first starting and things like circletime go by the wayside in favour of playing with the baby and more freeplay while I get a routine worked out. If anything the babies bond with each other and don't feel so bad about being in a play yard together.

Also Aug will be a time of vacations for your daycare too so you might luck out and be down in numbers.

As the same time if you have a family that wants June and things are still iffy with the one you have now what about taking the family for June and just telling the current family that you have decided to terminate as of the end of June regardless of how much progress she is making as in she had her chance to turn it around. Again one of those this just about business and what is good for you and your program.

Euphoric !
    Playfelt, thank you thank thank you You always have such good advice. I had given my new dcg's family until the end of this week to adjust and they are looking for other care in case and are taking it well. She is a sweet kid, but I feel she may just be a tad too sensitive for my daycare She was not so bad today, but I feel it may always be one issue or another with her. I just had a phone interview with another family who are so eager that they said they are willing to pay for the month of June although they don't need care until July (they may start him part-time) and I will interview them tomorrow evening. I think that definitely pushes my decision in the direction of letting this dcg go as I do not want any long-term stress with a child who needs more attention than I can give. Now I may give her family until the end of this month to find other care if they need it. Now my problem will be choosing which family as the one from yesterday were very eager too and may match the paying for June if they think they will lose the spot...oh I wish I could take everyone!