Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

What do you do with older children during nap time?

Hi all!

I have a 3.5 year old starting tomorrow, and the parents say she doesn't always nap. My current crew (including another 3 year old) nap for 2 hours everyday. What do you guys do with the ones who won't nap? I'm thinking I'm going to set up a spot to nap in the room with the other 3 year old and say she has to rest for at least an hour? However, if she doesn't rest then she could keep up my other 3 year old... what would you guys do in this situation? The thought of getting no break makes me cringe... I really don't want to have to entertain a child all afternoon.

yes, I have an almost 4 yr old dcg who doesn't know how to play on her own. After the little ones are down napping, she is required to lay on the couch in the playroom for about an hour. She has books and small toys to occupy her. It is entertaining this age group that exhausts me as I don't get the break I need to clean, have lunch and have a few moments to myself. Is this dcg coming full time? Then for sure she must have manditory quiet time.

Starting to feel at home...
    No, it's just part-time... I did tell the parents that if she doesn't nap, that I will put on some sort of show for her for part of quiet time and they are fine with that... I'm just not sure if I should try putting her down for a nap or not even bother.

Shy
    I keep special quite time activities and take down at nap time for the 4 year old who don't nap in my group. For example lacing, puzzles, felt game like build a cupcake, magnet stories. I sometime give her letter, shape and number tracing.

Outgoing
    I have a 4 year old who doesn't always nap anymore. She is in a room by herself on a mat with some books for at least an hour. Sometimes she falls asleep, sometimes she doesn't, but she is not allowed to get up until an hour has passed. She can then watch television for the rest of nap time. This is a new development. Until she was 4, she had to spend the entire 2.5 hours on her mat, and she usually slept.

Euphoric !
    All children nap here ... It's not negotiable ...I have two 3.5 yr olds (one is mine) they both still nap every day for 3 hours. They will both be going to school this sept full days and so for the last three weeks of the summer I won't be napping them to get them ready for jk but they will be required to sit quietly and watch a show or go outside to respect the others that are napping.

Outgoing
    my playroom is in my lower level and napping is upstairs. I have two part time dcb who no longer nap everyday. they are required to lay on my couch for an hour and watch a movie. if they don't fall asleep then they are allowed to get up and play a board game, lego etc. it is actually nice that I have 2 kids because they entertain each other....

Euphoric !
    I am exactly the same as Crayola. All children of all ages must lay down quietly for naptime. I have a 5 year old boy who comes here for his PD days and he lays in the other room on a cot with his books and games. I turn the light off in the room but leave the curtains open so he has some light. The other children sleep over 2 hours so he usually falls asleep for the last 45 minutes or so. If you make it your policy that naptime/quiet time is for all children of all ages and they must lay down quietly then the child will have the time to rest a bit at least. All children need a little break in the middle of the day and we definitely deserve a quiet time in the middle of our busy days.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.