Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

How long would you wait?

My 2 day a week 2 y o is so horrible at nap time I know I am starting to resent him. He screeches and the sound carries through out my house. It seriously sounds like he is being tortured. He wakes up the other kids and basically I feel like a wreck at the end of the day when he is here not having had my break and the other kids are cranky as they didn't get a good nap. It is also training my good sleeping 1 y o to wake up regularly and now she does even when he's not here. I have been talking to the mom and she was going to send him 3 days a week for while. She booked one day then he got sick and she never attempted again. She has tried a few things, sent a stuffed bear for him to sleep with. He is cared for by his grandma and although they tell me she does everything I do, I am wondering how much he is cuddled etc or if she sits vigil next to his crib while he sleeps. I was going to give him until the end of June to get it together but I am wondering if I can last that long. Thoughts?

Euphoric !
    If you are feeling at the end of your rope, I would give notice now. Personally, I never want to get to that place again. With dcb I terminate in March, it got so that my blood pressure would rise when his mom rang the bell in the morning. I was always stressed. My family was suffering. I have vowed to not let it get to that point ever again. While I know I provided excellent care to this child right until the end although he drove me insane, I am sure he felt some of my frustration seeping through. I have never felt like this with any of the other kids and I never want to feel like that again! Two days a week is soooooo not worth that stress!

Outgoing
    I am going through something similar with my part timer. He comes one day a week and has been coming since March. He is having major problems transitioning. He's not bad at nap, he just won't eat or play by himself. Wants to be held all the time and won't play with the other dck.
    Where do you have the kids napping? Separate rooms? If so I highly recommend a white noise machine. Use the white noise setting and it drowns out ALL noise. I have one in each of the nap bedrooms and one in the hallway. Its a very valuable purchase when you have a screecher!
    Try that and maybe just try separating the screecher as much as you can?

Starting to feel at home...
    I was having the same problem with a dcb who came two days a week. He started beginning if march and I gave termination notice at the beginning of may. To me it's not worth the other kids being cranky, and acting up because the dcb is crying and screaming all day.
    If you feel it's not going to chnage, better to terminate sooner then later as my husband told me.
    Good luck!

Outgoing
    i went through hell with a non napper but it was full time. i perservered and things are much better now. the odd day here or there that doesnt go well but i would never had waited so long if she wasnt full time. you need the consistency of full time to settle a little one with napping issues. personally i dont think that 3 days will make any difference at all. I no longer take kids part time because you never know how they are coddled or catered to the other days by mom or gramma.

Starting to feel at home... zoomama's Avatar
    I no longer take children p/t either, with the exception of one almost 2 year old who is 4 days a week and a real joy to be around. I spent a full 10 months with a difficult child and it got so I too dreaded her arrival every day. Looking back I don't know why or how I stuck it out, but I certainly won't do that again. There are too many others to consider to allow one child ruin it for the group. And me beginning each day with a less than positive attitude is hard on all of us.
    “Children are not a zoo of entertainingly exotic creatures, but an array of mirrors in which the human predicament leaps out at us. ”
    ― John Updike

Euphoric !
    I would tell mom he needs to come more..... I don't do part time unless its for an already established family .... Currently I have one part time but they were full time but mom is on mat leave now and I will be getting the sibling in the fall. So I would tell mom that in order to make it easier on the child he needs to come at least four days a week till he adjusts and then gradually take away the days and see how it goes but if he reverts back then I would ask them to find other care.