Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Funny phone calls

Someone phones me yesterday to ask about daycare. She asks my hours, and I tell her. She says "You're only open until 5?! Well, I would need you later than that. Can't you stay open later than that?". I say no, I'm sorry, I'm only open until 5. She says, "Ya, well thanks" (sarcastically). Lmao..... I'm thinking that I'll be okay without this one for a client!

Starting to feel at home...
    I had an email from a lady yesterday asking me if I could stay open later then my close time of 5:30pm...she was very pushy saying "I can't get there until 6:00pm and would need you to stay open later than 5:30pm, oh and I'm not interested in paying additional fee's".... she also asked if I could accommodate an early drop off 7:00am instead of 7:30am (my open time) .........NEXT!! LOL

I got an email from a mom informing me that her son was diabetic, that I would need to check his sugars portion his meals..etc, and she would need to come and check on him when she felt the need...next... and it was not because of his medical needs it was more because the mom wanted pick ups and drop off as well as drop in whenever she felt the need
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 05-15-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge__driver11 View Post
    I got an email from a mom informing me that her son was diabetic, that I would need to check his sugars portion his meals..etc, and she would need to come and check on him when she felt the need...next...
    sorry but her sons needs are important and diabetes has to be managed. its alot of work. as for checking on him when she felt the need, perhaps he was recently diagnosed. I would hope that she "asked" if you would be willing to do those things rather than "tell" you but your dismissal of this families angers me as the grandma of a young diabetic child. Not meaing to cause an issue, just felt the need to vent. We all have the right to refuse care to someone for whatever reason but to include this post in with people rudely asking for extra hours with no extra pay isnt right in my eyes.

No no you misunderstand it was not the diabetic issue my husband is diabetic; it was the fact that she wanted to come and go as she pleased perhaps I should have made that more clear that is why the email was rude

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dodge__driver11 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    When the parent is rude about us not staying open or not offering a particular service I think it is more out of frustration in the sense that if they could find a caregiver that said in their ad I am open till 6pm or drop in whenever you need care service available then there wouldn't be a need for them to call every person that does daycare and plead for them to offer the service. Annoying for sure because we all have our reasons for running our homes the way we do and if we wanted kids in care till 6 we would have put that in our ad but at the same time you do have to feel sorry for parents that work outside the norms.

Euphoric !
    The parents who are in my house for an interview for an hour and then tell me their child has a dozen allergies or strange condition or needs some kind of special care are the ones who bother me. I get all the times and other basics out of the way during the prescreening but I hate wasting my time in an interview to have a big surprise come out at the end to show me I just wasted half my evening. Grrrrrr.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing
    Ive got a good one! lady calls me up, "I see you are only open until 5, I wont be able to pick up until atleast 5:30, what are YOU going to do about that?" I almost laughed out loud on the phone! I informed her that I wasn't going to do anything about that, my hours are non-negotiable and clearly we weren't going to be a good fit! She had a lot of other complaints about my program too....fast forward a month and I get a call from her again! She has heard all kinds of great things about me, a bunch of people have recommended me so she would like care to start asap! I don't if she thought I wouldn't remember her or what, but I sure did lol....told her I was full and good luck in her search!

Euphoric !
    I had an email yesterday from a parent looking for summer care for her two children, but she can only afford to pay $25 for both kids. I politely answered her and suggested that she might try hiring a high school student or something like that, but I couldn't charge that low of a rate even for one child!

Momof4, I had that happen to me once...parents came and we had a lovely interview and then they said that their daughter is severely allergic to nuts. I don't take children with allergies. From that day forward I ALWAYS ask about allergies or special health conditions or special requirements right alongside hours of care before we even get to the interview.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sunnydays, the parents said to me at that interview, Oh we thought we told you, pffffft!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.