Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

New DCP dropping off early! Help!

Hi everyone. I have a new dcg 1 year old, who started with me this week. She is on day 3 of being dropped off early. Her first day was for an afternoon only so 1-5. I mentioned our nap is at 1 so to please drop her off a little earlier so she could play first. She was dropped off at 12:20... Ugghhh. Yesterday her drop off time was 6:45. Technically I open at 7:00 but didn't mind the 15 mins early. She was dropped off at 6:30 by dcm while I was still getting ready! I answered the door and dcg was quite upset, VERY tired and ended up waking up the rest of my house. This morning dcd dropped off at 6:35 again I was getting ready still. I made sure this morning that I kept all my lights off, curtains closed. I have a sign with my hours on the white board in my mudroom too! I was ticked so I ignored the knock and he kept knocking so my hubby answered quite ticked off. I said to dcd that I wasn't expecting them until 6:45, that I technically don't open until 7:00 and that I was still getting ready. He said "Oh, I can come in and keep xxx ready until you are" I said "No thats okay I am ready now" and I went to put dcg in to the highchair in my kitchen and he followed me right in. Ugghh. My hubby was livid! Mom is picking up today and I will say something to her again about the drop off time. I am being very accomodating by allowing 6:45 and if they need earlier they need to find care elsewhere.

See that is the problem there... you ''allowed'' them to drop off early. Parents are like robots lol they dont understand if they are not programmed properly. Do you get paid at least for that extra time ?

Keep to your schedule else you will never see the end of it, one day they'll arrive at 6 am if you let them continue. Either say what you have to say now... or start charging that extra time at least. Maybe they wont like paying more money, daycare is expensive enough as it is.

Hopefully you stick to your guns !!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DisneyPrincess For This Useful Post:

I agree with Disney. You need to set the precendent now that you are not open till 7:00. They can come as early as they want, but you don't open your door till you are ready to open. Sometimes we need to "show" our rules to the knuckle heads who try to bypass our obvious ones.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks. I am going to tell dcm tonight that I technically don't open until 7:00 but was accomodating them and now its becoming too much. I willl say that if they are needing care before 6:45 then it will be an extra fee. I'm sure that will nip this in the bud.
    I also need to figure out how to put a stop to dcd walking right into my kitchen uninvited. If I invite someone in that is one thing but I thought he had left this morning, instead he followed me into the kitchen where my hubby was in his jammies eating breakfast. Hubby was NOT impressed and I didn't even bother with introductions.

Euphoric !
    Put a gate at your entrance way if possible. This blocks parents but also keeps the kids away from the door. If you have a outside light use that as an indicator that you are open. Put a note on the door indicating that if the light is not on to please wait in your car until the light goes on at 645. Early arrivals will result in an extra charge.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassygirl View Post
    Thanks. I am going to tell dcm tonight that I technically don't open until 7:00 but was accomodating them and now its becoming too much. I willl say that if they are needing care before 6:45 then it will be an extra fee. I'm sure that will nip this in the bud.
    I also need to figure out how to put a stop to dcd walking right into my kitchen uninvited. If I invite someone in that is one thing but I thought he had left this morning, instead he followed me into the kitchen where my hubby was in his jammies eating breakfast. Hubby was NOT impressed and I didn't even bother with introductions.
    This irritates me. This is where respect comes in. Just because our businesses are in our homes does not mean that all areas of our homes are being used for business purposes. My family has a right to enjoy their home and have privacy.

As far as the early drop off, I guess I'm pretty much going to say the same thing. Tell them if they want to drop off early that you will need to charge an extra fee as this is over and above. I would make it a steep fee at that, something like $15 dollars for each half hour you need to open early. Watch how fast they don't want to come early anymore.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

I have had parents buzz before the drop off time, and I simply won't let them in... And when they ask why I simple state "What time was it when you dropped off?" Not a response, but it never happens again.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dodge__driver11 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Was the 6:45 something you discussed and agreed to or they just showed up at that time and you let them in without saying anything? If you don't say anything then they assume you are fine with it and will show up whever is convenient for them. I had a new dcd show up 10 minutes early yesterday...I ignored the first ring and then let them in at the second ring but I told him I was not ready as I don't open until 7:30. I don't think it will happen again, but if it does I just won't open the door. Not okay.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I had met only dcm at the interview and had said that I open at 7:00 but if necessary could do 6:45 earliest as I have my own 4 children, myself and hubby to get ready as well as set up my highchairs, playpens, etc.
    For yesterday and today she had indicated drop off would be at 6:45 fine. Yesterday it was 6:30 and I stupidly answered. Today it was 6:35 and I only answered because dcg was screaming her head off at the front door and I didn't want the neighbours to get upset.
    I will speak to dcm at pick up today as well as ignore the knocking, and keep my curtains shut and lights off. I have written my hours in BOLD print on my whiteboard. I will also put up my pressure mounted gate at front doorway. I don't have dcg again until next Tues though.

Euphoric !
    Oh wow, this is why we stop letting people walk all over us and make them follow our contract rules to the letter. Because if you let people push their limits they will definitely do it. You allowed an exception, now they think they can push farther and farther, and they will. Sorry, but it's true. They agreed to your 7am opening time when they signed the contract. Enforce it!!! Be tough!!!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.