Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I have only had one teacher parent and her kids were the first to be dropped off and the last to leave ever day (pick-up time was 5:30pm). And she was a supply teacher, so usually didn't have prep to do. She admittedly would go home, walk the dog, cook dinner, etc and then come and get the kids at the last minute. So, I think it depends more on the parents and less on their work hours or profession. Set your hours to something that works for you and then they will have to pick up by that time.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I have only had one teacher parent and her kids were the first to be dropped off and the last to leave ever day (pick-up time was 5:30pm). And she was a supply teacher, so usually didn't have prep to do. She admittedly would go home, walk the dog, cook dinner, etc and then come and get the kids at the last minute. So, I think it depends more on the parents and less on their work hours or profession. Set your hours to something that works for you and then they will have to pick up by that time.
    That would totally drive me right around the twist.... When I interview I find out where the patent works and what their working hours are and I basically give them driving time plus 15 mins. I know a lot of providers say that what a parent does when the child is in care doesn't matter cause that's what they are being paid for and I agree to a certain extent..... But seriously to go home and take a nap after work or go home and cook dinner and shower ... Please .... Unless their quitting time is during nap time then the parent should retrieve the child directly from work .... This is the main reason I cut my hours back from 5:30 to 4:30 cause the longer your open the longer people will leave their kids. JMO

Euphoric !
    Crayola, that is exactly what I did...changed my hours and I now close at 4:30. That family drove me to it! I no longer care what parents are doing with their time because I have my hours set to something managable for me. It did bother me that those kids were left with me so long when they didn't need to be. They were so clingy too...poor kids missed their mama! Now I have no problems as 4:30 is a nice time to close and the kids are not overtired and missing their parents.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Crayola and Sunny days. I have been cutting my hours and plan to cut them down further in December when a child that really needs to stay here until closing time will leave. After that I will change my closing time from 5:30 to 5:00. So my new hours in January will be from 8 to 5pm... Usually (with some exceptions) the worst behaved kids are the ones that spend waaaaay too many hours at daycare or with nannies...
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 05-17-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Expansive...
    You guys must have parents with very short commute drives. When I was working out of the home my daughter had to be at daycare between 7:15 and 7:30 am so that we could get to work on time. Then it was such a rush to be able to get out of work in time to pick her up by 4:45 pm. She was always the first dropped off and the last picked up, but it was necessary. I hope providers out there don't assume that just because the parents have their kids there for a long day that they aren't all just taking advantage.

Love teachers kids! They may be the first to be dropped off, but usually the first to be picked up! Also depends on where they work as well.

Current client got a position luckily right in town so my current hours with them are 8:15-4:15 (or 5 if she's in a meeting). My hours of operation are 7:30-5. If she got the job out of town, she would have had her child with me from 7:40-4:45/5 ish.

Outgoing
    I have one child who's mother is an elementary school teacher. She picks up her daughter between 4-4.30 pm every day, unless she has a staff meeting, then it's about 5-5.30. That is still ok for me because i close at 5.30 pm.