Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    No one is saying the parent can't drop in all we are saying is that we will only settle the child once, and now that you have seen, you need to take your child and go so the rest of the children can go on with their day. It isn't rude, it isn't selfish it is realistic and it is in the best interest of everyone involved - especially the child. With a daycare centre that has an open door policy there is a director or usually another adult to help the parent peek in the door and see their child at play and often they don't even interact with their child. In a home daycare environment it is just me and at any given point in the day I have a baby in bed, a child on the potty, another one wanting me to get something for them or we have finally gotten everyone settled and I am reading a story when the parent arrives. Basically it shifts the focus for everyone including me from the learning that we were to be doing. The visits are for the parent, not the child and it is hard to let an adult disrupt the lives of that many children. When I had an older group I had less of an issue with parents dropping in and if they let me know even a bit in advance they were invited for lunch. With babies I just find my day is so welded there is little room for disruption to the routine. It is hard enough for me to work in the new child's routine to my day without having someone disrupt even my regular kids. Do it once fine. Do it a second time and you take your baby with you and I put my energies into settling the other children that didn't deserve to be disrupted. This is going to sound really bad and stereotyping but in 23 years of daycare the only parents that did the drop in unannounced also tended to be my most difficult to deal with parents and my most fretful hard to self settle babies. I'm sure there is a connection there somewhere and I know that isn't an across the board truth it just has been for me. Being able to give references for current families helps a great deal and if I get the sense at the interview that the family seems nervous about daycare I will mention that to my families and give them a heads up if a woman called .... calls for a reference you might want to talk about what it is like as a parent putting their child into care as much as you talk about the care itself. And that does help.

This is understandable, if a parent drops by too many times a day just because the parent is anxious, it is bad for everyone especially the children there.
    And my heart goes out to good home day care providers who try to spin the day with so much in their agenda.
    Sometimes when a baby cries during the initial settle-in times, it is hard for providers who have more than two babies. One starts crying and all the others follow. On top of it you have to clean, cook plan your schedules, activities...it is too much for one person to handle.
    However, parent anxiety vanishes with trust and confidence.

All I am saying is one visit (or even different unannounced pickup times like how you suggest) is good enough to get an idea of how things are.

The harsh truth out there is there are some really bad providers who neglect and on the face might be very smooth with the parent. It really is a two-way thing. Either parties should win trust. Sometimes, having many babies ( especially a mix and match age group) is a very tricky business. The provider ideally wants all babies to follow a routine ( there is no other way when it is a one-man army) ..some are too young or not yet ready to fall into the routine.
    I have seen disasters because of this. You do find some disturbing things when you drop in.
    Experience is a must but ethics makes experience count.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrtah View Post
    The provider ideally wants all babies to follow a routine ( there is no other way when it is a one-man army) ..some are too young or not yet ready to fall into the routine.
    I have seen disasters because of this. You do find some disturbing things when you drop in.
    Experience is a must but ethics makes experience count.
    You are also bringing up another area of disagreement that comes between parents and caregivers. I try to make it clear at the interview that I am not being hired by the family as their nanny and while I will be taking care of their child's needs it will be within the context of the group and that means sometimes the baby will be put down while I change another child or serve a meal. I also am usually interviewing a few months before baby will start anyways and I impress upon the parents that it is their responsibilty to get the child ready for daycare and that means being able to self sooth to fall asleep, etc. In any family each child deserves their time and attention from the parent and it is a juggling act - lopsided in favour of the newest child in the group at least to start but parents have to recognize that we do not have all day to carry, entertain, sooth any one child in our care.

Outgoing
    Any child can be put into a routine and no child is to young to be put on 1...unless the child is under 3 months old. Children thrive on routines and consistency. All children in my care are expected to fall into routine with everyone else and like playfelt said, expected to self sooth, self feed for the most part, etc. I don't have time to coddle a child. A new child in care needs a little extra attention for the first few days - week to feel safe and learn the routine but after that I just can't give so much attention to just 1 child, it's not fair to everyone else. Playfelt, I have a feeling I'll be "ya that" ing you a lot on here...lol.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Just because I live in Ontario and can not be licensed means I can be just as good a caregiver as someone that lives in another province that offers licensing.
    Very well put!!!! I absolutely agree! Just because I choose not to work through an agency (who is licenced) doesn't mean that I lack experience, education, or don't continually seek to improve my experience and education.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tot-Time For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    It usually gets interesting when a group of caregivers gets together and starts talking about daycare. There can be some very fine lines drawn in the sand and number of years in daycare, number and age of their own children, and a few other factors I have noted but will not divulge - so please no one ask,lol - It just is very interesting how the dynamics of caregivers is influenced by these factors. Already I can start to see some polar opposite opinions emerging on this forum and that is great as long as we remember no matter how right we think we are it is just our own opinion. It is nice having someone that backs you up though. Trends in parenting come and go and change each year and that has more of an influence than anything. I do daycare much like I raised my own four kids and the daycare kids came before my current group while at the same time respecting the style of those new to daycare staying home with their own baby and trying to establish daycare under the current trends - not all of which are ideal sometimes.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    I know, when I first read this string /posts this afternoon I thought WOW! The diversity of a group can make things very interesting. The only thing that has raised a few hairs for me is the possible 'assumption' that agency/licensed childcare is better than non-licensed/agency childcare. I have worked in: a nursery school, did respite care, 2 daycare centres, best start summer camp, agency home daycare, home daycare, live out nanny etc. I have worked as a home daycare provider with and without my ECE. I can tell you truthfully that I am not a better or worse daycare provider because I have my ECE BUT I am a MUCH better caregiver without being affiliated with an agency

Each and every daycare is unique just like every family's needs are unique If we all had the same daycare and all the families had the same needs, this forum could indeed be very dull!

Both caregivers and parents who need childcare have to make the most informed decision and then decide what is best for them

Talking about routines,
    how many naps should a child get...every child is different but what do you guys suggest
    or babies under a year and the group between 13-18 months...etc.

Starting to feel at home...
    Most of my little ones start to transition around 13mth, to one nap. During the transition time sometimes the little ones are "11o'clockish" meaning that they need to eat early (around 11) then go to bed shortly after. At the moment I have one 18mth old in my care who still needs a morning nap (especially during growth spurts) but I also have a 15mth old who has never had 2 naps at my house.
    My "2 nap kids" start to transition with a short (no more than an hour) morning nap 8:30 - 9:30... remembering that most of theses kids are up around 6:30 or earlier.
    Then they go down for nap with the older children around 12:30.

Thanks Niveah I so agree with you.As a provider in hamilton ontario the children I currently care for are 2 or under and i have 4 as well as 1 before school aged sibbling and 1 after school sibbling . Seems how i focus on the little people I tend not to try for the circle time. I do alot of free play and try to get them intrested in music and movement be it on their knees or if they are walking around. I have never had a child unhappy with my care yet and have only had to ask 1 to leave and it was a parent issue rather then the childs issue. So i agree when choosing a care giver take your cue from your child.Also alot of provider will offer 1 or 2 free drop in days before the day your child is do to start to get your child used to going. My door is always open and when a parent is picking up they just come right in .Many a parent will come in quietly and see what their child is doing before letting them know they are their.