Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Grandpa Died - Parents React

I got a call this am that my grandpa had a stroke, and he has died. I am an only child, and I have to go to my mom. She lives three provinces over. I am finishing out today, but I will have to take Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off this week. I haven't taken a day off since Christmas.

I called my daycare families to let them know what was going on. Two of four families were kind, said they were sorry, and that of course they understood.

One mom sighed and told me how inconvenient it was for her. I apologized, and all she said was, "yep", and hung up on me.

A daycare dad said that he guessed he'd try to figure something out, but sounded really irritated and was quite short with me.

I am very clear that I don't offer backup care before families sign on here. What am I supposed to do about it? I am very disappointed by these reactions. Don't give condolences for my loss or anything. I feel like I've been kicked in the gut. I am not CHOOSING for my grandfather to die.

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm so sorry for your loss

Try not to feel bad about your dcfamilies. You don't have to do anything about it. Sure, it might be hard for them to find back up care but shit happens. Of course you didnt plan for your grampa to die. They should be ashamed of themselves. Take the days you need to be there for your mom and don't give those asshats another thought.
    Last edited by mamabear; 05-28-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Outgoing
    My condolences.

As for the families that were not understanding, don't worry about them. That is shameful of them to treat your loss as their inconvenience.

Euphoric !
    Sorry for your loss. Do not give your daycare parents another thought. Think only about your mom and your visit with her.

Outgoing
    so sorry for your loss. go look after your mom and yourself and deal with your inconsiderate clients later.

Euphoric !
    Oh, I'm so sorry you lost your Grandpa. Don't worry about a thing except taking care of yourself, your Mom and your family. I hope those dcparents were just very busy at work and will apologize for their rude insensitive behaviour and show their caring and appreciation of you tonight at dropoff.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home...
    My sincerest condolences for your loss. Times like these you need to remember that it's especially okay to put you and your family first above all else! Hugs.

Euphoric !
    I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. That's terrible news

I'm appalled that those parents behaved that way when you told them. Of course you're going to be by your mother's side! That shouldn't even be a question in their minds. Go and be with her and let the families sort out their situations. Goodness knows they'd not think twice about taking off for a lot less than a death in the family.

Ass hats was perfect terminology.

Sandbox Sally, please accept my deepest sympathys. During this emotional and sad time it is terrible that some of your daycare families are so self absorbed. It is a big indication of how they must be in other aspects of their lives. Sad.
    They forget that they have a human being with a life beyond daycare looking after their children.

Please take care of yourself and your Mom and give no thought to the thoughtless families.

I am so sorry for your loss. Take care of your self. Your priority now is your family.