Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !

What kind of person are you?

We all know it takes a certain kind of person to do this job (and do it well). It has got me thinking about what kind of people are we? Is a certain personality drawn to running a home daycare or does owning a home daycare create a certain person?

We all know the basics, must like kids, patience, kind but what about looking deeper then that? I had a mom ask me how I do it every day and said "you must be exhausted at the end of the day." I thought about it and realized that I am but I am not. I am someone who has always found myself "energized" by children. I have always been drawn to kids and most comfortable interacting with them. She said I am an extrovert then (definition is becomes energized in interactions with people) but in fact I am an introvert (definition is to become drained or depleted by interactions with people) and I told her that I only find adults draining. Are others like me?

When I went back to work after my first baby (pregnant already with #2) I was talking about not coming back after the baby with my coworkers and all these women said they "needed more then being a mom " which I responded with "I am the one getting more with staying home." I have wanted to be a mom since I can remember and although I had a satisfying career, it never defined me. I felt when I became a mom that this did define me in a way I was OK with and am actually very happy about.

I know we have former teachers, professors, social workers, receptionists, office managers etc in our group. Do we share common traits outside of the obvious?

I am at my core a person who wants to do her best at everything she does. I am someone who takes child care and the things that go along with it very seriously..... I am very no nonsense; but at the same time I can be very sensitive, and emo..lol.

My home is very organized, and tidy as best as it can be and I enjoy planing and implementing too

Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I am someone who has always found myself "energized" by children. I have always been drawn to kids and most comfortable interacting with them.
    I can so identify with your thoughts above; well before I had my own children I too was drawn to children, and they to me. My mom has the same trait. She somehow is able to be the one person that the shyest child will go to. We are always the one playing with the children at family gatherings etc. So, when we had our last I really wanted to be home with him and not miss that time. After about 25 years in management I put my notice in and we found a new home in a neighborhood very eager for childcare. I never dreamed how my acquired career skills would serve me well in this new undertaking. I don't regret one moment now; all of those nights working late, the weekends...my poor family. Now, it's summer, Christmas, March Break off with my teacher husband and my children & to me, that is what life is all about, not a fancy promotion or paycheck.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home... zoomama's Avatar
    as a single mom with one adopted son, i wanted to be the one to raise him, not send him off to daycare so someone else could spend most of his waking hours with him. i've always loved children, and started babysitting my younger siblings at a young age. from there i went on to babysitting other ppl's children, and somehow, i've spent much of my working years in child-related fields. being an organized and efficient person has certainly helped with maintaining a sane, enjoyable environment in my home/dayhome. when i read other threads on various topics, i am struck with how much i relate to the way of thinking of so many other providers. i am strict, the rules are the rules, but am also very affectionate and loving with the children. they respect my rules and the way things are done, and i know they love me back. a person that does this career, and enjoys it, is probably usually highly organized, has a genuine love for young children, can be strict but silly too, does not feel that spending time with very young children "dumbs you down" (i've heard that and i strongly disagree!!), is somewhat of a natural "teacher", and has reasonably good social skills (a must for dealing with parents!).
    that's IMO
    “Children are not a zoo of entertainingly exotic creatures, but an array of mirrors in which the human predicament leaps out at us. ”
    ― John Updike

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zoomama For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My 4 children always had about 4 friends each in the house and I always had a flock of children around me so taking care of 4 or 5 children in the daycare is the norm for me I suppose. I'm a natural nurturer & teacher, well organized, my home is clean and safe for the children and I don't mind sharing it with them since I don't have a dedicated daycare space. Sometimes I wonder why I don't crave a perfect house, but make no mistake, Friday afternoons I'm taking my house back as fast as I can!

I worked outside the home all my life and this is the first time I've ever been self-employed. I wish I had done it when my children were young and I think you are all very clever women to choose this profession to spend time with your children. But back in my day it was babysitters all the way, only centres had programs and great care for children.

Now we are professionals and I'm very proud to offer a great program and to be able to choose the families I work with and to enforce my very fair contract policies. All my life I worked with adults who exhausted and frustrated me and bosses who weren't fair or doing a good job. Now, I'm investing in me. But I'm also making an investment in the children who are with me for a few years before moving on in life. I know I'm doing a great job because they all come back to visit and they are getting so tall! But I'm part of the reason they all have great manners, know how to have lots of fun and are doing well in school.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

I am the mother of one fantastic 18 yr old daughter. I wanted more children but I had to give the boot to my cheating husband when she had just turned one. Thought at the time it was a tragic, but it turns out my daughter and I were so much better with out him. After 11 years happily on our own I met a great man who is the polar opposite of my daughters father. We have been married almost 5 years.
    I decided to become self employed and have a daycare because I love, love kids and especially love giving them a secure, fun environment in which to thrive. I am tough with the rules, but like another poster said, my dckids know I adore them. Perhaps they are the surrogates for the ones I didn't get to have.
    I also wanted to be self employed because I was really tired of working for people who were poor managers. I have a strong sense of justice and fair mindedness, and to see colleagues kiss butt and get promotions they didn't earn and see good people not appreciated got really old after awhile. I don't suffer fools well.
    I did do my dream job for a few years as a flight attendant. This was a tough job then because we actually gave you full service. LOL
    Anyway, I realized I am fortunate to be working at my second dream job. I love being my own boss (and am often toughest on myself) and being around great little people who teach me something new about myself or them most days. I am a better person, mom, friend and wife for working in this profession which I am so passsionately proud of. Just don't call me a babysitter or suffer the wrath!!!!!

Euphoric !
    I really identify with a lot of what is here. I am also super organized, efficient and a bit of a perfectionist. I am creative, energetic and although I can be anal about my own house (this I have even relaxed on once I got married, had kids), I am pretty laid back about the daycare space and encourage the kids to be kids and get dirty/have fun. I have fun with them but I am firm about the rules. My dckids understand that I care for them and feel secure and trust me. I have one family in particular where the children are in constant flux and the adults in their lives give them too much decision making power/choice. This child is thriving with me because he knows my expectations and he sees an adult in charge so he feels safe.

Yes exactly torontokids

Shy
    I to am an introvert and was always comfortable interacting with children. I noticed that some of you talked about being organized. That is something I can relate to.
    I have spent most of my life with children I come from a large family and became an aunt at age 13. I babysit all through my teenage years. After high school I went to college and got a diploma in Early childhood education. I heaved worked in the child care field for 10 years. It wasn't until after my second child that I decided to do it in my home. For me it made was a no brainier either go back to work in a preschool and pay almost all my paycheck for someone else to raise my 2 children or stay home and run my own day care and raise my own children while doing it.

Starting to feel at home...
    I really related to some of Mimi's comments. While I love kids - I have a small herd of my own LOL - and I find it very rewarding to work with them and celebrate all of their acheivements, what I like the best about this job is my boss. =) For many years when I was "green and keen" I tried to climb the corporate ladder, and I witnessed (and experienced) a lot of what I call "hen house politics" - backstabbing, heinous managers, people being given flak for reasonable requests. (like time off for dental appointments or family commitments) Over 15 years and several organizations I never once found a place that wanted to invest in it's employees, and it seemed like toxic work environments were everywhere. I love the fact that the biggest stress I now have to deal with is the fact that if I don't work, I don't get paid - no change from any of my previous positions. It has also been very comforting to know that I am in charge of my job security. Yes, times may become more difficult and it may take longer to find clients to fill spaces, but no one will ever dangle the threat of "we need to cut hours" over my head as long as I run my own business. I decide how much work I want to take on, and I can control what my paycheque will look like - not some power tripping numb nut in HR. =) It has been very emotionally liberating to no longer have to suffer fools and their silliness. What peace !