Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Paid Sick Days for Providers

Hi! I was just wondering if any providers allow for a certain amount of paid sick days annually? In 19 years of providing care, I have only taken 3 days off sick but wanted/should have taken more. Thanks.

I know that people do this - I have read many contracts where providers allow themselves a certain amount of personal paid days per year, but I was nervous to ask my clients, as I make them pay regardless of their attendance, and didn't want to push my luck. It says in my contract that if I am not open, I do not charge.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have 5 paid personal days for sickness, appointments, etc. per year. I won't use them unless I have to, so it's not like I am going to just take them anyway if I am not sick, but none of my parents complained and I am a new provider. Making them pay when their kids are sick is different because I am still working and they are paying for the space. I think it is fair to ask for paid sick days as long as it is clearly in the contract from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    It says in my contract that if I am not open, I do not charge.
    Pretty much the same here.....

Outgoing
    Same as Play and Learn and Alphaghetti....My vacation days and appt days are unpaid....unfortunat ely.

Starting to feel at home...
    I work it out in my rate that I get 20 days a year off, 15 vaca and 5 sick or personal days. It's in the fee but parents don't actually pay and I don't see a loss in income either. One parents made a comment about my holidays and it was so rude it actually made me want to terminate on the spot. I however took the higher road and immediately found a reason it "wasn't working out" and terminated anyways. I work at home to enjoy my life, I'm not compromising in this area

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysue View Post
    Hi,

Maybe start a sticker chart with stars and if they help clean up they get to put a star beside their name. If they get 5 for the week then they get a certificate at the end of the week for being a BIG helper. Ignore if they don't help and if they cry for not getting a sticker tell them why. Trust me they will want to get what the big 3.5-year-old gets. Ignore if they don't help and don't make a big deal. But make a huge deal if they do. Kids at this age are testing their boundaries big time don't fold or they will win. Remember you’re the boss! LOL Good luck!

http://www.aaacertificates.com/membe...ome_And_Family
    Uumm...think you replied to the wrong thread as this has nothing to do with the OP.

Anyway, I have 10 paid sick/personal/bereavement type days. I have never used this many or even come close but they are basically there because all of our family is in another province and if someone (god forbid) dies, it takes up a huge chunk of my days to go and then I'm left with nothing if my kids or myself get sick. This has happened once when my grandma died and it took up so many of my sick days that I upped it to 10...it was 6. I've never had an issue with my number. So, I state in my contract that I get 10 paid sick/personal/bereavement days and 3 weeks of holiday time unpaid per year.
    Last edited by fruitloop; 07-23-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Outgoing
    My contract states I have 5 paid sick days per year. If anything above and beyond that needs to be taken I will reimburse the next month. I also have up to 3 weeks additional for holidays but that is unpaid. I will be changing that next year though.

Euphoric !
    I have stats off, paid. 10 calendar days of holidays, paid. And 4 personal/sick days, paid. All of this during the calendar year.
    My rates are very reasonable, and it is the norm around here. The only time I wouldn't charge a family the usual rate is if they had just started that month or so, and I was taking a week off or some such thing. I would pro-rate for that time, for that family.
    When you work out what we get paid on an hourly basis, I think that this is more than fair.

hmm...actually after having read the rest of these posts, I realise that I DO charge when I am not open - Stat holidays! Oops.

As for holidays, this summer I have been lucky. I have two daycare kids at the moment, and they are both taking holidays the same week, so I have a week off paid! Woohoo!

Maybe I will change the contract for the next family to include a few paid sick days...