Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insurance!

Angry Insurance!

Here we go again. My insurance company is saying I am limited to three children. I am looking for more quotes at other companies. Is there anyone else who has trouble with this? Years ago we had all our policies with Allstate for years. When they found out I ran a day home they dropped us, even though at the time I had an insurance policy with a company through my day home agency. The one I am with now says I may have to get business insurance which would be around $750 a year.

(I am from Alberta)

Yep, Meloche Monnex will insure you for up to 8 kids (including your own) under the age of six years old. I can't remember exactly but I think my policy is for a million liability and $30,000 in equipment and relocation fees (should my house burn down) and it costs me around $20 a month or so.

Euphoric !
    Make sure you ask them what exactly you are covered for though! We were with TD Meloche Monnex and had to switch to Wawanesa when I opened my daycare. TD said they would insure us, but when I asked what the insurance covered, they said it is just for things like parents slipping and falling on the walkway...NOT something happening to one of the kids in my care. We asked two different employees to be sure and the same thing was repeated. We pay more as a result unfortunately with Wawanesa as we had a good rate with TD, but we are now covered for any kind of accident involving the kids...which is what I was more concerned about.

Euphoric !
    I got the same information when I looked at TD. They also clearly told me they wouldn't cover me on community outings etc. They also now only cover 6 kids which include your own.

The ones I found were Wawanesa and Gore. The rest now have limitations (some of those limitations were specific to Toronto though).

Euphoric !
    Weird! I may have to call them again...we are spending way too much on insurance now!

Quote Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
    The rep from TD that we talked to gave us the exact opposite answer, sunnydays and torontokids! My husband asked very detailed questions, and the coverage includes anything that happens to the kids at home and on outings (no-fault), damages to the home, and replacement costs. I'll be getting my coverage info in the mail this week, so I can pop back on here and give more details.

Re: TD insurance - they cover six including your own, but only under age six? What if my own kids are ages 9 and older? How many daycare kids would they cover then?