Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Naps

Euphoric !

Naps

Do you all leave them until your clock says for example 2:30 or are you flexible with this? My DCkids have been waking up a bit before the end of nap and I am leaving them until nap time is over but I am worried I am being inflexible especially since they all slept. I don;t want to train them to wake early though either, this is why I am leaving them. Thoughts?

Euphoric !
    I do the same as you torontokids. They learn to just play quietly in their beds until naptime is over. If I get one up, it will wake everyone up as they are all in the basement..this doesn't seem fair to those who are sleeping. I think if you start getting them up early then they will learn that they can cry and you will get them up...naptime may get shorter and shorter.

Euphoric !
    mine stay in their pnp's till naptime is over.....I agree with sunny ..naptime may get shorter and shorter if you let them up

Outgoing
    I leave them. All my dck sleep in the same room, so on some days that is 5 kids at once...There is usually one or two who wake earlier but that still means there is 3 not ready to get up yet.

Yep, you leave them. My nap time is my naptime and EVERY kid lays down and stays there until naptime is over. There is nothing wrong with this. It helps them build patience and builds on their ability to self-soothe and self-entertain. Quiet, awake, alone time is VERY important for all people, children and adults for good mental health. I think far too few people take time out of their day to be awake and reflective.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    We don't have nap time, we have rest time. That way NONE of the kids think they can get up just because they are awake.

They aren't allowed to get up off their mats/cots until I invite them to do so.

I agree with Judy.....Kids need quiet, alone awake time...it IS good for their mental health. (and mine)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyP View Post
    We don't have nap time, we have rest time. That way NONE of the kids think they can get up just because they are awake.

They aren't allowed to get up off their mats/cots until I invite them to do so.

I agree with Judy.....Kids need quiet, alone awake time...it IS good for their mental health. (and mine)
    Yes, in my care we call naptime "quiet time" and it uses that terminology in my contract as well. I use the words "quiet time" so that no parent of child can say they don't want to "nap". Fine, you don't have to "nap" but you DO have to remain quiet and laying down.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Same here ... Kids stay on their matts or in their beds until nap time is over. I sometimes kinda feel guilty but it IS best for everyone and so I offer no flexibility at all.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post
    Yep, you leave them. My nap time is my naptime and EVERY kid lays down and stays there until naptime is over. There is nothing wrong with this. It helps them build patience and builds on their ability to self-soothe and self-entertain. Quiet, awake, alone time is VERY important for all people, children and adults for good mental health. I think far too few people take time out of their day to be awake and reflective.
    This. Exactly what Judy said is why my kids stay on their mats until nap/quiet time is over. I know myself very well, and I know that I NEED that quiet break time. I also believe it is good for teaching the kids to self soothe and learn patience. If the children are awake, I expect that they wait quietly.

Euphoric !
    Thanks, just wanted reassurance I was doing the right thing! They always stay on their cots regardless but they sometimes wake 10 mins early and I had been leaving them. My own dd and one dcb lay in their cots for the 2 hours and rest/have quiet time but sometimes don;t nap. I call it nap time as I expect them to nap. If they don't want to then I tell them "tough."