Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home... zoomama's Avatar

Very upset parent...

so...this morning at drop off the dcm of my 5-yr old dcg was VERY upset that she had had a nap the other day. all kids go down for quiet time, and i never tell her that she has to NAP, but of course she told her mom that i said she HAD to nap. dcg didn't fall asleep until after 11pm and had kindie the next day. so...dcm said this morning that she didn't call me because she was "very upset", and that "she CAN'T NAP", and that lately she feels her dd is an inconvenience to me. the fact is, i recently took on two little ones, and my days are much busier with the bigger group, and this child is my oldest. her parents want me to have her ready for gymnastics (or remind her to get ready and remind her to PEE!!!...she's 5!!!), they failed to let me know TWICE in one week that she was not coming due to illness...i had to call the dcm to ask if she was coming...which if i have a walk or outing planned ties us all down...one day i DID have an outing planned and dcd informed me that morning that he would be picking her up late morning for doctor appt. we went on our walk as planned and he came and found us, picked her up, fed her lunch. up until now i have not had a policy book in place. this is a large part of the problem and my fault. this family has been with me for four years and dcg is finished for good at the end of june. i feel so frustrated and more than a little upset, but i know it's just for a little longer. at the same time, i hate to see things end on a sour note. this morning i tried to tell mom that all kids NEED quiet time so i can have a break...more needed now with the extra little ones, and that even a kid sitting at the table coloring and watching me move around doesn't feel like a 'break'. we didn't resolve anything as another parent walked in to drop off. i hate this kind of start to the day!!!! oh. and when i told her she didn't understand the need for a break, she promptly told me that she had worked in a daycare for YEARS!
    WWYD? just smooth things over and make it as painless as possible for the next month? try to work things out with dcm?
    “Children are not a zoo of entertainingly exotic creatures, but an array of mirrors in which the human predicament leaps out at us. ”
    ― John Updike

btw, policy book is ready to go out tomorrow!
    “Children are not a zoo of entertainingly exotic creatures, but an array of mirrors in which the human predicament leaps out at us. ”
    ― John Updike

So she thinks her daycare experience and knowledge trumps yours. uh huh, just tell her that all children in your care must rest or nap.
    I would look to replace, anyone tries to tell me how to run my business in that manner would be given their walking papers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... Big Hearts's Avatar
    I would tell her you need a break to have lunch, get stuff set up for the afternoon and do paperwork. Even if you don't do any of that you still need a break. even an hour just to regroup and have a coffee. That said kid needs to lay quietly till all kids are a sleep or for an hour but she then falls a sleep in the first place. And you are not going to wake her up. And clearly she needs a nap if she falls asleep. And yes get that hand book make up signed by all parents. I have had many times I have had to email or photo copy a page that they signed and highlighted a line showing or reminding the rules they agreed to. I don't sugar coat thing. I will be polite but this is your business and home don't let them tell you how to run it. Every daycare runs differently. I worked in a daycare before starting my own and we did get breaks. every room had two workers and we each took turns taking two 1/2 hr breaks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Hearts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    The fact you only have a month left I would probably stick to my guns and say child will need to do quiet activities but do them on her mat in the sense that I have things I need to do that means I am not always able to have her follow me around the house and I need to know where she is at all times. Then if she falls asleep so what - generally when moms don't know the kid goes to bed normally.

I don't get a break because my own child doesn't nap - hasn't for over 15 years - yes she is 20 but special needs. I only let older kids not nap that can do the sit in one place and not bug me for the hour. They lay on their mat for the first hour and either fall asleep or get up and do whatever was in their quiet bin for that day while I do my own things - ie I spend first hour on computer with my lunch and then spend second hour doing stuff.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Nap/quiet time is an absolute necessity for us! And for the kids as well. I would continue as you are, and if she is that angry about it, she can go before the month is up. Your policies are your policies no matter what. My theory is if the child falls asleep during quiet time the need the sleep.

I won't get much of a break come summer, as my son will be home and has special needs, but he still understands quiet time. He will play quietly on his own while I clean up and have a rest, and then we have some one on one time while the others are still napping.

Starting to feel at home... Big Hearts's Avatar
    I would put on a movie for her to watch. Turn off the lights the put on finding nemo or something. But ya you only have a month so stick to your guns. A kids movie is 90mins or so give you time to eat check email ect.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Hearts For This Useful Post:

Thank you ladies. Yes I could just let her watch a movie during quiet time. My ONLY problem with this is then the dcm has marched in, told me what to do and I do it. Had she come in and spoken respectfully to me I wouldn't have any problem with this AT ALL but yhe way she spoke and bossed me made me so mad I don't want to comply with her DEMANDS!
    ― John Updike

Starting to feel at home...
    I always turn the nap thing back around on the parents. "Disgruntled Daycare Mom, Obviously I cannot "force" any child to sleep, because if you use the same logic, you would have been able to "force" the same kid to go to bed at a decent hour. Which apparently you could not do. I do give the option to sleep at quiet time, but older children in my care are also given the choice to read books while resting on their mat. They must remain quiet to not disrupt the children who need to sleep, but the choice to nap is theirs. That's unfortunate that you are unhappy with the care. I have my policies in place in order to be fair to all the families in care. If you are no longer willing to honor the contract you signed, then you need to give X amounts of weeks paid notice as per our contract. Please let me know your decision by such and such a date so I can notify my waitlist. They will be DELIGHTED!"

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ladyjbug For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    If you require all your daycare children to rest quietly and the DCM doesn't want her dd to rest then have the DCM come pick up her dd at rest time and bring her back after rest time is over.

Or you could hire an assistance to supervise her dd while the other kids rest and you have your quiet time but make sure you charge her for the assistance wages for that time.

I don't accept or keep kids who don't rest during rest time. I could care less if they actually sleep but they ALL rest quietly.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KellyP For This Useful Post: