Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    All children nap/quiet time at my daycare and at this point all fall asleep .... Apparently they need it. I had a parent tell me they want their child to nap from 10-noon ..... I said that will not work because then your child will miss outside time/ free play , and lunch and them your child will have to sit quietly by them self for the afternoon since all the other children will be napping. Needless to say their child napped with the rest if the kids.

OP: What Province are you in?

Here in Ontario, according to the DNA, all children MUST have quiet time for minimum an hour.

So, if she worked in a center before, she of all people should know this! Otherwise she's just screwing with you.

I would personally just leave it. Especially considering she's leaving in a months time.

IF she has further issues with it, tell her that she can leave. That you're not changing anything right now.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomama View Post
    Thank you ladies. Yes I could just let her watch a movie during quiet time. My ONLY problem with this is then the dcm has marched in, told me what to do and I do it. Had she come in and spoken respectfully to me I wouldn't have any problem with this AT ALL but yhe way she spoke and bossed me made me so mad I don't want to comply with her DEMANDS!
    In an earlier post you mentioned taking on a couple of younger children. What was the nap policy prior to that as in has this child always napped, just played quietly or what did she do? It sounds like mom is blaming nap on the fact you have babies napping. Just because babies started shouldn't effect what the older child is doing during quiet time.

Expansive...
    I feel your pain I had a 2 1/2 year old who is now 3, her Mom made it clear last summer no more naps. It interfered with the child's ability to fall asleep at 8pm, she would freak out if she heard she napped. So I stopped telling her if she fell asleep on her own and it didn't truly interfere with jack. Then a few months ago she comes to me and asked that she take a nap just on Thursdays as she needs her to stay up till 10pm. WTF like these kids have on off switches or something.

My motto is if the sleep its because they need it!

My DH and I are sooooooo relaxed with our DD's bedtime and she is responsible enough at 5 years to tell us when it's bedtime. Don't get me wrong 11pm won't work every night but once I a while is it really a big deal?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by zoomama View Post
    this family has been with me for four years and dcg is finished for good at the end of june. i feel so frustrated and more than a little upset, but i know it's just for a little longer. at the same time, i hate to see things end on a sour note.
    Sour note? Who the hell cares? It's not YOU that is being the ass here. Honestly, they are nit picking and being rude. The definitely have Short-Timer's Syndrome, that's for sure. Ugh.

If a parent told me NO NAP then my reply would have been:

If your child has outgrown their nap then they have outgrown my daycare. You are welcome to leave earlier than June if the nap is a problem for you.

And, no, I am not kidding.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... zoomama's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Play and Learn View Post
    OP: What Province are you in?
    Ii'm in alberta. As far as I know there aren't quiet time laws here.

So... today I put dcg in her own room, not darkened, with books no blanket, and said "you don't have to sleep just look at books quietly" (i never say they HAVE to sleep)".
    Checked on her a short time later and she was snoozing up a storm. I woke her and she looked all guilty and said "I wasn't sleeping I was just closing my eyes!" Poor kid.

Meeting with mom after last dck leaves. Shoyld be interesting. Thanks for all your advice and input! I'll update on the outcome.
    “Children are not a zoo of entertainingly exotic creatures, but an array of mirrors in which the human predicament leaps out at us. ”
    ― John Updike

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    In an earlier post you mentioned taking on a couple of younger children. What was the nap policy prior to that as in has this child always napped, just played quietly or what did she do? It sounds like mom is blaming nap on the fact you have babies napping. Just because babies started shouldn't effect what the older child is doing during quiet time.
    I had fewer children so not on such desperate need of a complete break so I would let her watch tv or colour/look at books on the couch (which she didn't actually do...she'd just watch me with a "is it time yet" look which drove me nuts!!!
    I have spoiled my families and now that i'm finally putting my foot down they are kicking up a fuss, much like children do when rules are put in place. Fortunately there are fresh families starting and if all old ones leave it's fine. I just don't want a bad rep in a very small community.
    “Children are not a zoo of entertainingly exotic creatures, but an array of mirrors in which the human predicament leaps out at us. ”
    ― John Updike

Euphoric !
    That parent EXPECTS you to have her child changed for an activity outside of daycare? Right there, that tells me everything. I hope you are advertising and filling that space quickly, you would be better off without them. I also agree that all children have quiet time at my daycare no matter what their age. If they fall asleep then they NEED some sleep.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

so...the end of my day...had a private meeting with said dcm, and realized it had very little to do with the nap and a lot to do with a LOT of ongoing miscommunication for the past months. we were able to discuss things in a grown up, mature way, and really it all ended so well. surprisingly well. her daughter will still be required to have quiet time, and i think part of dcm's frustration is that her daughter WON'T nap for her even if she's sick and needs it...yet here i can't keep her awake if she has 'quiet time'. isn't that so often the way?!

so things are good. i will have dcg very little the last month, won't lose out on the income right before summer (a whole different story), and best of all, i feel like i grew a little in my ability to deal with and handle a very frustrating situation in a positive, yet firm and "backboney" way. all in all, a frustrating day to further personal growth that ended well. things to be thankful for.

thanks for being here...it makes days like this easier to handle...
    ― John Updike

and i did bring up things like being expected to have dcg ready for outside activities, amongst other things, and i think dcm really 'got it', which felt better than simply getting mad and terminating.
    ― John Updike