Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Well I feel dumb...

I have a dcb who is always so happy here... always playing and active. Today he was miserable! He wouldn't stop crying no matter what I did. I tried reading him a story, I tried playing with the toys with him, and tried just cuddling him. He wouldn't stop crying no matter what I did, and everytime I had to get up to help one of the other kids, then he would really start wailing. He never acts like this, so I started to figure he must not be feeling well. His nose had been running yesterday a lot and again today. I eventually decided to call parents to pick up their child since he wasn't participating in any of our activities and just seemed miserable. I called parents a couple hours later to see how he is doing and they tell me he is perfectly fine?! They said he's playing and fine. Now I feel stupid for asking him to be picked up. Was this a whole production or is he really not feeling well and just at certain times he notices it? When I mentioned to his family that I think he's not well they said they haven't been feeling well either. I just feel dumb to hear them say he's perfectly fine with them

Starting to feel at home...
    Regardless of how he is feeling now at home, he wasn't up to being at daycare and needed to be sent home.

Euphoric !
    Could be that they gave him Tylenol or Advil when he got home. I have had parents say that before "I gave him Advil and now he's playing normally and seems fine"...well duh! Of course...the Advil took away the pain of whatever is ailing him! Don't feel bad...you did what you felt you had to do at the time.

Euphoric !
    Kids need their parents when they feel sick. Of course he feels better with them. I would too. Only mommy or daddy will do in times like that.

don't second quess your instincts. Normally happy child mood has done a 180 then something is up.

Euphoric !
    When the play level is busy a child not feeling well can not cope as well as they can at home where it is quiet. I probably would have tried for a nap to see if that helped - at least it would have given the child some alone space and then if that didn't work called the parents to ask what's up, I would have come right out and asked if child had had any medications in the last 24 hours and that would tell a lot of info. You don't mention age but assuming under 18 months if he wants to cuddle like that and upset when you move so teething is a possible problem - running nose can be related especially if upper teeth involved. It is possible child slept poorly night before due to the pain too which just makes the day worse.

Euphoric !
    I bet they did dose him with something when they got home and of course he's in his own element at home and king of the castle most likely so he's fine. You did the right thing so don't second guess yourself. He could have an ear infection, bowel problems, who knows?
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home... Big Hearts's Avatar
    When my son is sick he is fine as long as he can see me. the second I am out of the room he gets upset. I think it is just knowing I am around if he needs a hug or snuggles makes him feel better. That could be it, I have sent kids home and the next day mom would say they were just fine. Most daycare centers here will send kids home at the first sight of a runny nose.

Outgoing
    Don't feel dumb. Most kids when they aren't feeling 100% just want Mommy and Daddy. Thats how it is. I do agree with the others though, I probably would have tried laying him down. I find that cures things in cases like this where you can't stop the crying. Sometimes, they are tired, not feeling well for whatever reason (teething really makes them clingy!) overstimulated, etc., and just want to snuggle up in their bed. I have had to do that on more than one occasion for kids. Almost always they fall asleep and wake up a whole new kid!

Outgoing
    I've never had a kid who I sent home who wasn't up running around like Jack The Bear as soon as they got home. It's perfectly normal for parents to declare total wellness after exclusion.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer