Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

How much do you tell the parents?

Sometimes I think I tell them too much! One little boy has been struggling, taking toys from other kids, hitting, refusing to walk. I tell the parents as they asked how he's settling and they seem really concerned as this isn't like him. I assure them that a lot of this is normal and may be a phase or a result of communication issues as English is not his first language but they are very concerned. It got me wondering if I share too much and maybe his other providers never bothered sharing this stuff as all kids do it sometimes. Should I just start glossing over the details and talk more about all the awesome stuff he is doing? What do you do?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I tend to tell the parents a lot as well...but my thinking is that I need them to know what is going on so that they can work on anything that they can at home to support me and also so that if it becomes too much and I need to terminate, it will not come as a total shock because they thought everything was going just fine. I know many caregivers don't tell much...but I prefer this open and honest way...sometimes it makes it hard, but it is just my style.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I will tell them about ongoing behaviour problems so that if I have to term it doesn't come out of left field. But if its age appropriate and I can deal with it I keep it to myself. For example, a 14month old takng toys from other kids. I'm not gonna bother telling especially if he is an only child. Otherwise its don't ask don't tell

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I tend to tell the parents a lot as well...but my thinking is that I need them to know what is going on so that they can work on anything that they can at home to support me and also so that if it becomes too much and I need to terminate, it will not come as a total shock because they thought everything was going just fine. I know many caregivers don't tell much...but I prefer this open and honest way...sometimes it makes it hard, but it is just my style.
    I am the same way. I like everyone to be on the same page, or no issues will ever be solved. And if it ever comes down to termination, as you said it's not a surprise and I know that I tried.

My SIL does daycare, and she thinks I tell the parents too much. I do tell them if the child has had a rough day. I do tell them if things are weird for the child. I don't tell the parents EVERY incident, though.

I had that issue with the 3 year old a little while ago where I terminated due to persistent aggressive behaviour, and she said that I didn't tell her enough. I don't think you can win. You're either viewed as nitpicky and tattling or you're withholding information.

Outgoing
    I generally don't tell them much unless it is something out of the ordinary, or it is becoming a problem. I must say the same thing at pick up everyday as my 4 year old daughter said to one of the dad's yesterday at pick up, "So, your baby had a good day. She ate well and slept well.", before I had a chance to tell him how the day went (she said what I was going to say). lol

Euphoric !
    Thanks for bringing this up Torontokids because it's something I struggle with all the time. I don't tell the parents that their child was taking toys or little things that are my job, no. But I tell them if their child had a crying jag or was grouchy or wouldn't eat well, etc., the important things. I do wonder if I tell them too much. I'm careful to share all the successes of the day too and the good things. I think if you temper the good with the bad at the end of the day it's ok.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

FSD

Starting to feel at home... zoomama's Avatar
    i started off telling lots about each child's day because i really thought parents would want to know because...well...i would. but i've learned that some parents don't want to know much at all, some want seemingly endless amounts of info, and some only want positive info. i'm a talker and a communicator, but i've learned it's often best to keep the main stuff to myself and share the important stuff/highlights. only when something becomes an issue do i address the parents about it.
    “Children are not a zoo of entertainingly exotic creatures, but an array of mirrors in which the human predicament leaps out at us. ”
    ― John Updike

Starting to feel at home...
    I will let the parents know if something happens that is unacceptable to me (hitting, biting, destructive behavior). Usually I will also comment if their child had an "off" day, but other than that I don't say anything unless they ask.

I usually tell parents the highlight of their child day while they are getting dress for outdoor or putting shoes on, if I have the time. I will only talk about something negative if I think I cannot handle the situation myself or my life will get more difficult. When a dcg bit my son a couple of months ago I did not tell the parents since I handled it myself and it never happen again. Something like a kid destroying my furniture (as was mentioned in a recent threat of that kid damaging a couch) I will talk to the parents to address the behavior. Even if they pay for the damage it would be a hassle for me every time I have to take my time to replace o reupholster the couch if the kid keeps destroying it or anything else in the house.