Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Balance

Outgoing

Balance

Just wondering what you guys do when it comes to balancing out daycare and housework. I find myself some days working through nap/quiet time so that I can either prep dinner or get dinner in the slow cooker, and get some laundry done. I much prefer to have a less hectic night. By doing some housework during this time, I find I really just have to do a quick tidy/wipe/vacuum kinda thing when the dcks go home.

Euphoric !
    I actually prefer to rest during naptime because this is the only quiet time in my entire day. I usually do very little in the way of housework during that time...I browse on my computer, read a book, etc mostly. I find that way I have enough energy to get through the rest of the day. Mind you, it is much easier to do that now because I finish between 4:30 and 5pm and my daycare space is separate, so I get that tidied up before the last kid goes home and then my evening is for my family, not daycare stuff.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

I used to do housework during nap but stopped... I now have my day ending at 5pm so I do it then

Euphoric !
    I also relax and read during naptime to recharge my batteries, but I have learned to do 2 things at once, like getting dinner going while I make lunch or vice versa. Dishes and laundry are always going to be there but there's nothing wrong with getting them started quickly at the end of the work day and finishing after the children leave. I sweep before the last child is picked up and then I vacuum daily.

As far as crafting/creating day goes I make sure I have all the supplies but as the children freeplay after breakfast I get it all set up then call them to the table. I used to spend a lot of time in the evenings prepping crafts and food but I've learned over the years to get these things done during daycare hours while the children freeplay as much as possible. They are always in my line of sight but I was getting tired and burned out. Nobody wants that!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Momof4, I do exactly what you have described. I buy supplies on weekends, but craft prep is all done while the kids play. I keep it pretty simple, so there isn't a ton for me to do...mostly taping paper to the table, getting paints out and brushes, etc. I use my leftover family dinner as daycare lunch for the next day, so that is double duty as well. I try not to think about daycare in my evenings..that way I can enjoy my own kids

I clean up the kitchen while kids are having lunch. Kids pick up all toys right before going to sleep and I clean the eating area and vacuum daycare areas right after they go to sleep which takes me about 30 min. Since kids have 2.5 hr quiet time I end up having 2 hrs break. That is my time for watching TV, reading, having lunch, etc. In the afternoon I make next day lunch (which would be my family dinner the following day)... I feel I am managing well lunch and nap time and that allows me to have a nice long break and keep everything clean... However I wish I could say the same for the afternoon. I wish I could make lunch/dinner with a magic wand... I do not like cooking in the afternoon... I tried during nap time, but I really need my break to recharge... I prepare all crafts for the week during the weekend and try to make easy crafts with the less amount of adult involvement possible.

Euphoric !
    Making more use of the crock pot really helps for dinner in that you can put that on while kids are arriving in the morning or having freeplay or during snack etc. The trick is remembering to set out the meat the night before so it can thaw.

I also let a lot of housework go in the sense that other than sweeping in the kitchen is it necessary to vacuum every day. I do outside play at the end of the day so nothing from outside comes back into the house and that helps tremendously to keep things clean. Also we have an upstairs and downstairs play areas so we are really only in one of the areas less than 4 hours a day by the time they eat and nap and go outside so I can skip days meaning now I do upstairs Tues, Fri and Sun and basement Wed and Sat. Family areas are only done on the weekend.

Starting to feel at home...
    Currently all my kids are over four and in the mornings I only have 1 or 2 kids so I try and get housework done while they are playing. There is no nap time currently so I just take advantage of the time that they are occupied. Plus one of my guys loves to vacuum so he happily attacks the dog hair and crumbs that accumulate over the day! Some days the house looks great and other days not so much! I try not to stress about it!

Expansive...
    Hmm...I seem to do way less than any of you!!! Ha ha! I don't do any cleaning, prep, craft stuff during nap time. Why do you have to vacuum everyday? Maybe it's because I have laminate in my playroom because I simply sweep up after meals and quickly at the end of the day, takes 2 minutes. Also we must eat dinner late because I have never started cooking dinner while dcks are still here. My house is not dirty.

Euphoric !
    Wonderwiper, I have to vacuum every day because I have a cat who has some kind of hair parties in the night! Also, I have a rug under my dining room table. I have to sweep every day because one of my dcMoms brings her stroller into my entrance hallway every morning and takes it out to go home and the dirt from it tends to track all around since it's right beside my 1/2 bath that is in use all day.

I agree with Playfelt, my crockpot is my best friend a lot of days.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.