Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First client wants to sign but I'm hesitant..

I "opened" in January but didn't get my first client until April who was temporary and was done with us 2 weeks ago. So it's been just me and my 2 kids (with no income). I had 1 pt child who was supposed to be 2 days per week but the mom was bringing her for half days, trying to only pay me for half days and the child was not adjusting crying ALL DAY, not napping, etc.. so I let them go. It's been very dead, not getting any phone calls. Yesterday I got a call from a mother whose child was let go from her daycare the night before (via text) so she needs care pretty much asap. She came for an interview with the child last night. The first thing she said when she walked in the door when I tried to say hi to the chid was that her child does not like people. The child is 20 months old and has only been in daycare for 11 days (before that was home with mom who ran her own home daycare). The child has a dairy allergy-not severe but I would have to be more careful and put a lot of more thought into my menu. She expressed that her daughter would probably have a hard time adjusting (crying, will freak out when I try to put her down for nap, etc..). If I accept her she would start on Monday. I would have to open 15 mins early at 7:15am for her (I was thinking of charging her an extra $2.50 per day). She would start pt 3 days per week and then ft in 6 weeks when mom is back to work ft. She also has an older daughter who she would like before/after school care for which is kind of a bonus but--this older daughter has a sever peanut allergy..epi pen and all! I know I have no clients so I should be cheering from the rooftops but I'm feeling very hesitant. I'm new to this and need some advise!!! thanks everyone

I personally would not take them. My reasons:
    - I do not take children with food allergies
    - They're asking you to open earlier than your normal hours of operation
    - She (the mom) seems like a pain in the rear end, and her daughter sounds like no angel

Did she give you a reason as to why the daycare stopped caring for her daughter? I would definitely want to know. Especially why it was done via text. I would also ask for references, and want to talk to the person who cared for her previously.

I have pride in my home and in my business. I don't take just anyone. I have to feel comfortable on who comes into my home.

Don't feel discouraged. I wasn't 'full' in my home daycare until a whole year after I opened! But...I am picky on who comes into MY home.

Good luck!

Outgoing
    The fact that the child was terminated via text on the spot with no notice would be all I need to know to turn them down.

Starting to feel at home...
    I'd steer clear away from this family.

Euphoric !
    NEXT ...... I would never take this family .... First and foremost the allergy !!!! I do not take food allergies especially ones that require an epi pen. Second the child doesn't like people ?!?!?!.... Yikes ... Run as fast as you can away from this ! It took me a full year to be full too so I would just be patient.

I just get a bad feeling about this familiy. Mom being a former provider may try to dictate to you how she wants things run pertaining to her children. Also the double allergies would be a big concern for me. It also took me many months to be full. Why not take your little ones to play groups and the parks and spread the word you have openings in your daycare? Good luck.

Starting to feel at home...
    Totally PASS!!!

Outgoing
    Did you ask mom why their old daycare let them go? Immediate termination seems pretty severe...

Yes I did ask and she of course blamed the provider. She sort of skimmed through the reason behind it but basically said her daughter told her "I sad" and when she asked her why she was sad she said the daycare's dog snapped at her. The mom said she asked the provider about it and that the provider was defensive and it turned bad from there. Not a clear explanation. She also has other issues such as an elbow that regularly pops out of place and must see a doctor each time to put it back into place. Mom also still nurses and wants to send her breast milk in a sippy cup. She sent me an email late last night thanking me for meeting with her with some follow up questions (which I haven't yet replied to) and just left my a vm saying she would like the spot and wants her to start on Monday. Thank you all for your input, you're awesome! I am going to let mom know I will have to pass.

Euphoric !
    Omigosh, run far and run fast! It is so hard to get going in this business but I took on families in my first year in business that I should have run away from. But I didn't know about forums at that time and didn't have any support system or advice in place yet. So I learned the hard way. Don't be desperate, you can find great families.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.