Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chicken Pox

Shy

Chicken Pox

I have a 2.5 yo who just came down with this yesterday. She was vaccinated.
    I told her she has to stay away for at least and until she is no longer contageous. Mom seems to think that since all the other kids in care are vaxed, then it should be no problem. DUhhh, what about any parents that have not had the pox as a child??

Another thing, this little girl comes to me M, W, and F every week.
    Woudl you give her a break on the fees, or not? I feel bad, but I think if she were a full time child then I woudl be more compelled to help with the fees if she was away a whole week.

My contract states that all sick days are paid. But i have never had a week long illness for any of my dcks before, and am feeling soemwhat sympathetic. ALTHOUGH, 2 govt employees, I know that the $ would not be an issue. (this was my husbnads advice lol)

1. You have a contract/manual for a reason! Enforce it! I don't care if she's sick or not, I'm open, they pay!

2. I don't care for people who don't understand the word no. She's contagious, she's not allowed in care. NO EXCEPTIONS!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Just because a child is vaccinated against chicken pox does not mean they won't get it ... It means if they get it .. It won't be as severe as child that is not vacinated for chicken pox.
    If you have a policy that they are to be out of care until the lesions are scabbed over and no longer oozing and no new spots then that's the way it is and if your policy is that they pay for all days that they are absent sick or otherwise then that's the way it is .... If you make an exception this time they will always be wanting you to do it and then it will become a problem .... Stick to the policies at all times .....
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 05-29-2013 at 08:56 AM.

this is my policy:
    Chicken Pox's Policy
    If your child has the Chicken Pox please keep them at home.

Your child can return to care when ALL of the following apply:

All the spots have scabbed over and are no longer itchy (this includes the ones hidden under clothing and diapers), This can take 5 to 7 days, some times longer.
    your child has been fever free for at least 24 hours, from the time the fever broke
    your child can join in all indoor actives
    your child can join in all outdoor actives

Just because a child has been vaxed doesn't mean they can't get chicken pox. I have never been vaxed and am not allowed to be vaxed since I have had the chicken pox. I have had the pox twice. Once as a child and once as an adult. As an adult chicken pox can put you in the hospital and even kill you. The vax was not around when we were kids and just because you had the chicken pox as a kid doesn't mean you can't get it again or you could end up with shingles which is no fun either. Protect yourself, your family and the kids in your care, say NO the kid has to stay home.

Also so remember that just because some one is a carrier of chicken pox doesn't mean that they will get the spots or another system. If this child comes another kid could become a carrier and pass it on to a family member.

If you are open then they pay.
    Last edited by BlueRose; 05-29-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Starting to feel at home...
    I wouldn't give them a break on fees if that's what is in your contract, better to stick to it. But I had a little laugh at the gov't employee remark - I worked for the gov't before I opened my dayhome and I certainly wasn't rolling in the dough, though I did get 3 weeks vacation a year and about 8 holidays a year which was very nice.

If you had to take a week off due to illness would they still pay you because they felt bad for you?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Don't offer any break on the fees! I recently had a child off for a week and a half as she had her tonsils removed...I had a fleeting thought like yours as well. But then I realized that it would be a slippery slope. Anyway, her parents will still be paid while they are at home with her, so it won't make a difference financially. They are paying to keep the spot open.

Euphoric !
    By the way, I don't think they exclude for chicken pox in schools and daycare centres anymore unless the child is miserable and cannot cope. I think it is more contagious before the spots appear.

Euphoric !
    Yeah, my understanding is that exclusion for chicken pox is rare. I had a little girl with spots last week and I just had the parents take her to the Dr to confirm if it was/wasn't chicken pox. Turns out it was a flare up of some old bug bites. I would have allowed her back as long as she didn't have a fever and could participate but of course inform all families in case there is a pregnant parent etc.