Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grace period?

Euphoric !

Grace period?

I am just wondering how strict you ladies are with drop-off and pick-up times. I have never had any parent drop off early or pick up late on a regular basis (have had the occasional snow storm type of slightly late pick-up, but never anything to be concerned about as it was not habitual). I have actually never had anyone show up early. I open at 7:30 and my newest dc family has been showing up 3-5 minutes early on a regular basis. Once the dad showed up 10 minutes early and I did not answer the bell...but he rang again and I let him in and told him it was too early and I wasn't ready. Now the mom is dropping at 7:25 or so. The dad is ALWAYS 5-10 minutes late. I know there is construction and traffic is bad...she has asked if she can drop at 7:15 and much as I feel for her situation, I just can't go down this road of extending my hours on either end, so I said no. Today I tried not answering on the first ring, but she ran again 2 minutes later. Am I being nit-picky to be annoyed with this? If it were just that her clock is set different than mine, then she should also be picking up 5 minutes early, but she does not. Do any of you allow a 5 minute grace period or are you firm about your open and close times to the minute?

Can you update your policy to charge $1/ minute if you are not doing this already, but still ask them to come at proper hours. I would not answer the door until is 7:30 even if they keep ringing the door bell. I cannot hear the doorbell if I am in my room since it is set in the low volume so nobody wakes up kids napping in the second floor. Some parents know that since I have casually tell them. I actually charge $0.25/ minute late pick up or drop off, but I have not had the need to enforce it. When I have the chance I casually tell the parents how busy I am in the afternoons, too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I am very firm about drop off times. I'm open at 7:30, no exceptions. I just had an interview go south because the parents told me that it was more convenient for them to drop off at 7:00 and I said no go. I have my own family to take care of before I open my door.

As far as pick up time goes, I have a small amount of give. For example, dcm told me Monday that she might be 15 min late Fri. She gave me lots of notice, and they are never later than they should be. This family has respected all of my policies right from the word go, so they get a bit of leash.

I would speak to them about it. If you don't want this to become a regular thing with them, and you are not ok with adjusting your hours at all - tell them. It sucks having to enforce things, and they may feel that you're being nit picky, but if you don't enforce your own rules, who will? Most parents will take a mile if you give them an inch.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

I say something in my manual that my clock is set to the Ottawa Weather Network, and to please make sure that yours is set as well.

Never had anyone come early. If someone did, I would refuse to open until my set opening time. You don't see a grocery store open just a few minutes early because people are banging on the door, do you? Same thing goes for me...I am a business as well.

I've had people come late for pick-ups and it's usually when I need to get somewhere, as in an appt. They are charged my late fees.

IF they call or text me in ample amount of time saying they are running late because of construction or weather conditions, I'll give them a 5 minute grace period. BUT...they have to understand that I have hours of operation for a reason. I have a life too!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yes, I have talked to them about the late pick-ups yesterday, so hoping that part will be better. I just wasn't sure if I was being too inflexible when it comes to 4 minutes early. I think if it were once in awhile it would not be an issue...the issue is that this is becoming a daily thing and for the dad the pick-ups are late every single time. I think more than anything, it is the fact that I feel like they are pushing me into this and I don't like being pushed. I have another family who has never been early or late and this week she told me her husband is away and she has to pick up their other son first at a different location...she has made it on time so far, but I took her son out to wait in the front of the house to help her out yesterday so she wouldn't have to get the older one out. I don't mind accommodating when it is occasional and has been discussed. It is the assumption that 5 minutes here or there won't matter to me...this is what annoys me.

Euphoric !
    Not to mention the fact that their child is the most high maintenance one I have...it all adds up to me feeling annoyed all the time and I don't want to feel like that! I am going to stay firm and post a sign outside asking parents not to ring before 7:30am or send out a reminder.

Outgoing
    Put an open/close sign on your door. If they're waiting at your door when you do open, flip it right in front of them. That'll probably get your point across

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    This may sound strange but since changing my hours from 7am to 7:30am I'm not as sticky with clients who come early...I did have a client who would drop off their two kids at like 6:50-6:55 and THAT annoyed me because it was before 7am, however when a 7:30 drop off turns into 7:25 it really doesn't bug me.

I am firm on my drop off/pick up time. Respect my rules, respect my business and respect me.

If an out of the ordinary situation comes up and it is not habitual and I have been asked, then I will usually allow and earlier/late pick up.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Everyone is different in how they run their daycares. If it doesn't bother you, then it's not an issue. I am bothered by it, especially since it has never happened to me before and I don't want to go down this slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyCake View Post
    This may sound strange but since changing my hours from 7am to 7:30am I'm not as sticky with clients who come early...I did have a client who would drop off their two kids at like 6:50-6:55 and THAT annoyed me because it was before 7am, however when a 7:30 drop off turns into 7:25 it really doesn't bug me.