Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home... zoomama's Avatar

Green/yellow snot

i'm sure this has been talked about at length, but i'm taking a risk and asking again. do you send kids home because of thick yellow/green snot even when teething may be a factor? i had one little girl coming with that, her mom took her to the doctor, he said probably teething and not contagious, fine to come. now i've got several kids with the same thing and i throw my hands up and say "well, they've all got it now so what's the difference?". they all seem totally healthy and fine in every other way, which makes parents very hesitant to keep them home. it's a hard rule for me to enforce, although i have sent a kid back home right from drop off on the very rare occasion that they arrive looking too sick for care.
    “Children are not a zoo of entertainingly exotic creatures, but an array of mirrors in which the human predicament leaps out at us. ”
    ― John Updike

Starting to feel at home...
    For me stuffy noses are fine, and usually when one gets it the rest soon follow including myself.
    I find that it's usually just the common cold.. Now if the nose has the green yellowed snot followed with a fever, vommitting and or dirreah, then I think I'd be sending DCK home.

Euphoric !
    Teething generally produces clear snot .... Coloured snot is generally viral which is why the rest have picked it up. Some kids always seem to have a runny nose..... Some kids would never be at daycare if they were excluded for every runny nose .... So generally if it is coupled with coughing/hacking, sneezing and the inability to cope in daycare then I would ask the parent to give them a day at home on the couch to recoup... Especially if its a Friday

With everything sprouting, blossoming and growing outside most of my kiddies noses are running yellow and green and thick (hope no one is eating while reading). They also have phlemy coughs as well. As much as I would love to , no I don't send them home.

Euphoric !
    Ok, I've written this before but I have medical training. When you see green/yellow you are looking at dead white blood cells that have gorged themselves on bacteria and died doing their job. Bacteria means a child has an infection, either sinus or lungs or ears and should be seen by a doctor, possibly for meds.

Clear running noses happen during teething and viral infections. You can't escape from a virus. I accept all clear runny noses but when I see green/yellow I advise the parents to make a doctor's visit.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post: