Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Summer Holidays

Summer Holidays

Hi, just wondering what you do in the summer? Do you close for summer or stay open? I feel like I really need a break but some of my moms don't have a back up sitter and with my husbands new schedule it doesn't work with the moms when O could take time off.. (Hubby is working 24days away in another province and 4days home till December). I have one mom going on mat leave mid August so I thought about waiting till then but my husband will be back to work then and I want to go visit him. I also thought about going on holidays when one of my full time kids will be on holidays but my other two kids back up babysitter is on holidays that time... Just so confused as to what I should do
    ~Heather~

Euphoric !
    I think you need to stop worrying about your parent's plans and book your vac when you want it. In a perfect world your schedules would all match up but that's not going to happen. Give them as much notice as possible about your time off and enjoy yourself!

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with torontokids. I used to feel bad but honestly you can't. You will never make everyone happy. plus, your family comes first. Just give them as much notice as you can and its up to them to find backup.

Euphoric !
    Like the other ladies said, YOU decide when you want to book your vacation and parents will find their own solutions. I think the only problem you may run into now is that you have waited until quite close to summer and it may not be enough notice for your families. I planned all my holidays for the year in December so parents just set their vacation times to align with mine and that was that. With 5 different families, there would be no way to make everyone happy!

Ya the reason I waited as we need to do IvF to have kids and our time frame changed for it so now I have an open summer and we want to take a trip late August.
    ~Heather~

Euphoric !
    Well if you let the parents know now, time off for late August should not be an issue as that is nearly three months from now. I would just let them know the dates you will be closed and let them figure out the rest.

Euphoric !
    For parents that are totally stuck there are always high school and university kids looking for jobs in childcare for just the summer months. I would plan to be closed the first part of July in the sense that they can find someone to fill in while that person is still looking for a higher paying job and by the middle of Aug they are getting ready to go back to school and if university out of town leaving. Also as a provider I love having at least part of Aug to get my crew back into Fall/school mode too so come Sept we can dive right back in since summers are pretty relaxed.

Giving the parents as much notice as possible increases the chances that they can schedule the same weeks off from their work and if they can't there are also caregivers willing to take other kids to replace their own that are on vacation too.

Expansive...
    Do what works best for you and your husband!

Euphoric !
    You are entitled to holidays and you need holidays to refresh and recharge. It is not your problem if the parents don't have backup care. Most parents book their holidays when the provider has hers.... If they choose not to do that... Not your problem! You should give at least a months notice for your time off. Most companies require you to submit your request for holiday time in February, so that us when I choose mine and inform my families. Plan your holidays and put a notice on your door informing the parents Monday morning when they arrive, and point it out to them.