Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pinworms

Outgoing

Pinworms

Ugggggggghhhhhhhhh!

One of my dcp told me this am that dck has pinworms! They got him treated this weekend, but he is still in diapers (pull ups), so I've been obviously right in the thick of it, a lot. Good thing I always wash after...

Anyone had any experience with this? I'm just super yucked out. I plan on telling my other family tonight (going to find some additional info and give them a handout). Should I be starting my family on a treatment? This fam just did OTC, but I've read that diagnosis should be confirmed by a dr., and input on that?

Happy Monday!

Outgoing
    I should also note that I haven't noticed scratching or rooting around in his pants at all, so I'm not super concerned about the kids getting them from toys and stuff, (though I'm going to thoroughly clean them) mainly the toilet, as they're all pretty handsy on there to balance themselves. And 2 of my dcks put their hands in their mouth a lot.
    ...and it just clicked that my 16 month old is teething, so he's been a mouther lately too.

Can you tell I'm a bit squeamish?

Euphoric !
    Plech....ewwww.....

Yes, I have experience with this. One of my dcks had it years ago. Not to worry. If he's in a diaper/pull up, it's likely just fine. If he's using the potty, yes, disinfect that after he uses it, as well as the taps in the bathroom. The eggs get onto the fingers, then transfer to what they touch (usually the toilet handle, sink faucet), then another child touches it, puts fingers in mouth...voila...pinw orms. It works that way for a few intestinal unfriendlies. After a good wash, all should be well. You're not likely to be seeing any itching or rooting during the day as the pinworms are more active at night. If he's being treated, I really wouldn't sweat it. It's a pretty common childhood thing apparently. Just keep doing what you're doing and it should be fine. No, you do not need to start a treatment on your family. I can't imagine what a doctor would tell you to do that you aren't already doing or offer in the way of a prescription.

Relax.....it's gross, but not a big deal
    Last edited by cfred; 06-03-2013 at 10:00 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think the biggest reason children get pinworm is if parents let them sit in grass or other areas that aren't very clean without their diapers or while changing diapers. If you suspect your children may have it the test is very simple, just a little stickie paddle that you press on the skin and back in the jar for the lab.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    If one of your kids has pin worms, you'll know it. They'll have trouble sleeping as that's when the worms work their way out of their bottoms to lay eggs. Your child will complain that it's itchy and it will drive them crazy. The pin worms are acquired by direct fecal/oral contamination. What I mentioned about the faucet in my earlier post is the most common way kids get it. It is an intestinal parasite that leaves the body at night via the rectum to lay eggs. The eggs get transferred to the child's fingers when scratching, wiping their bottoms, what have you. Then they touch something else with their soiled fingers. Someone else touches that thing then puts fingers in mouth, or something that child touched in their mouths. The eggs are swallowed and hatch somewhere in the digestive system (bowel maybe...can't remember), then the whole thing starts again. The only way that I know of to get rid of them is from a doctor's prescription meds. I don't think they're caused from sitting on the ground or dirty places. I'd be very surprised if that was the case since it's an orally acquired problem. The stuff you're doing now is just right. Don't worry too much about it. As long as the child's hands are clean and you don't see any diaper archaeology going on, it's not likely to effect you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    When I was a kid we used to get this sometimes. We lived in a rural area and played in dirt a lot..LOL...my understanding is that you can get it from the dirt left under fingernails etc. I don't worry too much and still let my kids play in the dirt, but wash hands when we come in etc. When we were kids, my mom used to give us raw garlic chopped up and put into capsules or swallowed as is when we were older...apparently this can kill it. It wouldn't hurt to increase your garlic intake in case