Quote Originally Posted by MommaL View Post
I do agree with this. That being said it does get a bit more complicated when a child starts when they are 1 years old and the nap issue doesn't come up until they are 3 or 4 years old. Such a situation puts everyone in a bit of a tough spot (the parents having to look for new daycare, the child who has developed a good relationship with their current daycare provider, and the daycare provider who has to now fill the spot which isn't always easy to fill). But again, I agree that if it's written in the contract, then a parent has to accept that. I think I was just defensive because some of the comments on this thread made it sound like it was bad parenting and selfish if their child didn't need to nap anymore. That I don't agree with. But I do agree that as daycare providers, we also need to do what best for us too. And that will be different based on a caregiver.
I can understand the frustration on your end (the parent) but I think a lot of us caregivers are frustrated with the high number of parents that request no naps but have no sleep routine, no sleep expectations and have no control over their child's sleep. It can be a touchy subject for all...but this job is hard and having to be on our feet the 10hr day because "those" parents whose kids are not sleeping at home (with or without nap and for reasons completely unrelated to naps) believe everything will be magically solved by us forcing their kids to stay awake (you know, the kids that are asleep within 10seconds of lying down because they are so exhausted).

I don't doubt many kids don't need that nap, are getting plenty of sleep at home and can function perfectly without any nap. BUT I do believe we have all seen that the number of kids that are not sleeping at home, are not functioning due to lack of sleep far outweigh the ones who are. It is those children that often make us clamp down on the nap rule...for everyone's sanity.

The kids with good sleep habits would be able to just hang out on their mat with a couple books being still and quiet (and not fall asleep within a short period of time). In this case there would be no issue over the nap or no nap because the caregivers is still getting their child free rest time even if some kids are awake on their mats.