Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I don't play with the kids at the park either as I need to be watching them all at once and the best way to do that is to sit or stand back and watch and make sure everyone is playing in the appropriate area, manner, etc. I do talk to other providers at the park, but I talk with my eyes on the kids at all times and I would certainly make sure a 16 month old is not climbing a ladder etc. My younger dcks are not allowed on the play structures until the are more aware of danger and able to climb, etc.

I really do not feel as though providers need to actively engage the children at all times. Not my point at all. I am by no means judging her based on this. The reason I am able to play is because I have very wee ones and must stick very close by if they are on the equipment, and because I want to.

In my opinion, if you have children as young as Susie in your care, you either have to confine them, or you have to follow them around from structure to structure. It is unreasonable to me as a caregiver AND a mother to think that a 16 mo is capable of navigating a playground without direct supervision.

That is all. I just want to be clear that I am not judging care providers who strictly supervise free play times.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    I really do not feel as though providers need to actively engage the children at all times. Not my point at all. I am by no means judging her based on this. The reason I am able to play is because I have very wee ones and must stick very close by if they are on the equipment, and because I want to.

In my opinion, if you have children as young as Susie in your care, you either have to confine them, or you have to follow them around from structure to structure. It is unreasonable to me as a caregiver AND a mother to think that a 16 mo is capable of navigating a playground without direct supervision.

That is all. I just want to be clear that I am not judging care providers who strictly supervise free play times.
    I understood what you meant. Because even though I don't play WITH the kids I AM a psycho when it comes to safety and I consciously shadow the little ones and even ban them from some areas of the park if I deem it as too developmentally advanced for their physical capabilities.

I, too, would be shadowing a 16 mth old.

Euphoric !
    I agree with alphagetti and Judy. A 16 month old cannot be let loose in the playground! I don't allow them on the structures at this age unless it is a toddler structure. They are happy to play in the sand with sand toys etc. If you are letting them on the structure, you absolutely have to be right there with them. Not doing so is definitely an unsafe practice!

Starting to feel at home...
    Of course you should say something- that DCP is not doing her job- and the safety of "Susie" is at risk, I would talk to her and tell her about Susies accidents, tell Susies mom too if you see her ,,, absolutely unacceptable of that DCP

Playing devil's advocate here. My girlfriend was the mother of a 'Suzie' and when another provider told mom of current daycare's bad reputation, mom thought she was trying to drum up business.
    Would that ever cross your mind ladies, sort of shoot the messenger type scenario?

I have to admit I am paranoid of parks...we have a beautiful neighborhood one just down the street that I rarely use. It's just I don't feel comfortable if I can't see all my little ones every second...as someone said, they do spread out & unless I go at 8-9am (which is when I do on the rare times I go) it's busy. As for actually socializing with other providers, I just can't risk taking my eyes away from them. That's why I much prefer my big fenced in yard. I also like the suggestion to bring mention of 'Suzie's' incidents...then if no I improvement go next level (parent).
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Just wanted to quickly point out that this thread is nearly two years old. I got some excellent advice!

Euphoric !
    It's funny how some old ones resurface