Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shy
    I have a 20 month old who refuses to climb the stairs (its for nap) he will just scream and if I put him on the stairs to do it he throws himself on the floor. I'm already carrying a little one up and like one arm free in case someone slips. How can I get him to do it? He is also very stubborn lol...

Euphoric !
    Can you do them one at a time? I know it's a pain but going up the stairs for a nap may not be a big motivator for him. You could read him a story 1:1 if he goes up on his own (if that works with your schedule.)

Euphoric !
    What about putting a favourite toy at the top of the stairs for him to go and get? Or if he has a blankie or stuffie that he loves to sleep with, you could use that. We have to be careful not to get into power struggles (I have to remind myself of this often...LOL) and try to find a motivator whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by abster View Post
    I have a 20 month old who refuses to climb the stairs (its for nap) he will just scream and if I put him on the stairs to do it he throws himself on the floor. I'm already carrying a little one up and like one arm free in case someone slips. How can I get him to do it? He is also very stubborn lol...

Euphoric !
    I have a gate at my stairs and just take them up one at a time. It is quick carry up, dump in bed, cover and say naptime and then leave. Repeat ....so right now three trips up to beds. Then put those on mats that sleep on main level to bed. I think each one likes that little bit of personal and I also find they can be too tired to climb up too although resistance so they don't have to nap is most likely the case. Put baby in playpen or exersaucer on main floor while you carry other child up and tuck in quick and leave. Then do baby. Not worth the struggle.

Shy
    Yea I think I will start bringing just him up first. He used to do it but not anymore. The rest of them happily go while we sing a nap time song I don't want the rest to get into the habit of being unhappy about quiet time lol

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by abster View Post
    I always encourage them to climb up on their own when they are old enough. Even if it means I move their arms up and then push their little legs up, until they get the hang of it and clue in that I will not carry them. There were two dcb's that cried and resisted at first, but after a couple of time they got the hang of it. Now they fly up the stairs as fast as the older children. Of course I say things to encourage them and praise them once they started doing it.