Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I havent read ALL the posts yet but wanted to say... in Alberta we are allowed 6 kids and that includes our own. I have 2 of my own and when I was full with 4 others... well lets just say.... why would you WANT over the limit??? Money? fine, but seriously? Going over the mandated limit isnt worth it if you get caught and the stress of more... well I just think its silly. They have numbers set so that each child gets the right amount of attention... accidents start happening if there are too many kids and only one adult to run interference. Mine ranged in ages and hving the 6 was good. I cant imagine if I had, had more in my house than that.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Price so often dictates where a parent puts their child and not whether that is the best place for them.
    That is unfortunately very very true!!! My prices have gone up a bit in the last 2 years as I didnt feel I was giving them good enough meals so I upped my prices $5 a day to do that. Some parents did like it, but... others were ok with it as they know I provide good care. It is crazy that pricing dictates where they go rather than the care!!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
    I havent read ALL the posts yet but wanted to say... in Alberta we are allowed 6 kids and that includes our own. I have 2 of my own and when I was full with 4 others... well lets just say.... why would you WANT over the limit??? Money? fine, but seriously? Going over the mandated limit isnt worth it if you get caught and the stress of more... well I just think its silly. They have numbers set so that each child gets the right amount of attention... accidents start happening if there are too many kids and only one adult to run interference. Mine ranged in ages and hving the 6 was good. I cant imagine if I had, had more in my house than that.
    This information is wrong. It is 6 children NOT including your own if you are a private day home. I can't find the thread that this was discussed in. It's on here though.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
    They have numbers set so that each child gets the right amount of attention... accidents start happening if there are too many kids and only one adult to run interference. Mine ranged in ages and hving the 6 was good. I cant imagine if I had, had more in my house than that.
    I actually disgree with this. I think that numbers (within reason) have nothing to do with quality of care. I think what each provider can handle has a human ability element to it. One provider might be able to successfully manage 8 kids while another can't manage more than 3 or 4. Just look at parents who can not seem to manage TWO kids!!

I think a lot of the numbers regulations are stupid. For example, here in Ontario you can have five kids PLUS your own. So, it doesn't matter if you have one child of your own or ten children of your own you can still have FIVE dckids.

So, for example, when I first started daycare my OWN kids were very, very young so, essentially I was "caring" for seven kids every day. Now that my own kids are older and do not require my care I can still only have five kids??? I think I have proven that I am fully capable of handling and managing 7 kids. Or, what about my provider friend who has FOUR kids of her own and when they were young basically had NINE kids??

See why I think the laws are flawed and stupid? They don't make sense and I can tell you from my own experience and that of close provider friends with their OWN kids (who were young at one time and IN the provider's daycare) that the number of kids really has NO impact on quality of care (again, within reason).

I honestly believe I could easily manage 8 kids on my own. I have more than two brain cells to rub together. I know I could never manage more than two "under 18 mth olds" at once with 6 other kids in care so I have the common sense to figure out what I can and can not handle with respect to numbers and ages of kids. And it won't matter how much you regulate numbers common sense and ability can NOT be regulated.

Quality PROVIDERS offer quality care - not just some arbitrary regulation set by some (likely) MEN who sit around board rooms who have changed nary a diaper in their days.

I'm not saying anyone should knowingly break the law. I'm just saying that the law is flawed and numbers do not equate quality or incidence of accidents etc.

There are recent cases of 'providers' who have had only one or two kids in their care and one of those kids dying while in daycare. It isn't about numbers. It's about ability and quality.
    Last edited by Judy Trickett; 12-05-2011 at 08:08 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I totally agree with you Judy, the law is flawed. It doesn't matter how many of your own children you have you are still allowed 5 daycare kids. And although large families are not necessarily the norm now it does still happen. I think we need a nation wide standard for numbers, I personally know that I can handle more than five kids and I have on occasion. I also agree that the quality of care is paramount, and yes accidents and deaths can happen just as easily with only one child in care.

Euphoric !
    Would love to see some sort of universal standards across the country. Here in Ottawa we are so close to Quebec that we often have to remind people who move back and forth of what is allowed on one side of the river isn't on the other. In Quebec they can do the two caregiver and more kids form of daycare whereas in Ontario we can't.

I am one of those with 4 kids who always had 5 kids so 9 kids a day was the norm as well as a couple over age 10 siblings in the summer for a total of 11 and never batted an eye at it cause it was normal for me. I do think part of it though is that having 4 kids I had home, yard, toys and equipment for that many kids which made it easier to have 5 other kids join us. In comparison a mom that has decided to stay home with her one year old baby can still take 5 kids but has to start from scratch for equipment, toys and in most cases knowledge of what to expect from each age group. That is when accidents are more likely to happen as in not knowing when to have stairs blocked or misjudge how high a child can reach or how quick they can climb or get away at the park because they haven't experienced that with their own children yet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Totally on the same page. I also have 4 kids, the oldest of whom are 10 and 8. At this point in time, they no longer require my "care" anymore. I am pretty much around just to make food, and ensure the house doesn't burn down, lol!
    If I was a licensed dayhome, they would still count in my ratios, and therefore I could only take in 2 more kids. I can't make a living off that, long term. Hence, I am private.
    And you're right that it's the provider, not how many children necessarily. Just a week or two ago, our city had a child almost drown at the local pool. He was there with the provider and only one other child!! She had never taken him swimming, had no idea what his capabilities were, and let him wander over to the other side of the pool. Yikes....

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post

Report her. I would - in a heartbeat.

I want to report my children's babysitter, but I don't know how to report and to whom should I report. Can you please direct me.

Three incidents in 1 day.
    *Babysitter left me child in the care of her 16 year old daughter to go to her son's concert
    *Babysitter's daughter fed my child a day old lunch and now my daughter has an upset stomach
    * her son hit my daughter with a block right above the eye, my daughter according to the baby sitter, was almost passing out.

Thanks your help will be much appreciated.

Euphoric !
    marivana - I don't think those three things are really grounds for you to report your daycare provider. If you do not agree with the things your provider has done then I suggest that you look for a different provider.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Shy
    A day old lunch. Have you never fed or eaten leftovers?

Accidents happen in daycare. Neither of those are reportable and would be a waste of someone's time. I'm not sure about the 16 year old being left with the kids.

If you're unhappy with her care look for someone new.