Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    apples and bananas

Early Drop off's and Late Pick ups

I have a new clients (2 months) I allowed her to start 15 min before my other clients and stay 15 min past my other clients. I have a pretty easy day right now from 8 - 5 so I didn't mind the extra 1/2 hour, but I explained to them in the interview that this was situation and I certainly didn't prefer to do the extra 1/2, but I was willing to as long as it was no earlier and no later.

Well, here we are, 2 months in, I've had 2 pick ups this week at 5:17 and one last week at 5:30 ( no notice ) and now a 7:40 drop off this morning.

Looks like I'm going to have to send out the first notice.

Don't you love it when you do "special" for a client and they take advantage. This is why I don't do "special" for anyone anymore. Since it is within a 5 min. give or take, I just would not open my door prior to 7:45am. Let her knock for 5 min. I would ignore it. As for arriving late...I would hand her a late payment fee even if she's 2 min. late.

Hopefully your client will "get" it and stop trying to squeeze in an extra few minutes here and there.

Outgoing
    I agree. Nip this in the bud. Why do parents continue to take advantage of our kindness? People are so self centred nowadays. You give an inch they take a foot. Send out the notice and remind them of your agreed hours and how you understand how time is of the essence to EVERYONE and you need that few minutes yourself.

If it continues, turns ALL your lights off, keep your curtains closed and door locked. I recently had to do this with one family. I agreed to 5 mins earlier, they arrived on morning 20 minutes early and I answered the door after that I am closed until opening time or our AGREED upon arrival time.

Good luck! I hate this kind of stuff.

apples and bananas
    It's such a pain.

I saw them in the drive and I did intend to leave them out until drop off time, but my other half left the door unlocked when he went to work this am! UGH.

Now they've sent me a msg asking if I'd consider an earlier drop off. NOPE! I have enough to do in the am. Setting up playpens, prepping snack... oh ya... and then there's getting my own kids to school.

Don't ya love when people try it first, then when they're shot down they ask nicely if they can do it again. So frustrating.

I don't think they have any idea on how this kind of dis respect alters our entire day. The hardest part of my job is pushing this frustration aside and moving forward with a smile.

Outgoing
    I agree with you completely Apples and Bananas. Its so disrespectful and all about THEM. I will on the RARE occasion if a parent asks me for whatever special reason that day for an earlier time but will emphasize I can't do that on a regular basis as my own family comes first.
    People have no idea or just don't care that we have our own families to get up and ready, not to mention ourselves. There is also the food prep and playpens to set up.
    Stick to your guns! Don't answer the door! We thankfully don't have a doorbell or a dog so they can stand in my mudroom or sit on my front bench and wait.

Slippery slope when we do a little extra for a client. I have a dcd who's daughter comes twice a week. Usually once a week he will comment how difficult it is to come at closing (he arrives right on the dot) as he should be working to 7. He is otherwise a super client, but nope, I'm not going to bite. I just nod my head with a sympathetic face and change the subject. I am open 10 hrs a day and I will not be made to feel bad about sticking to my hours. Your life is not my responsibility.

Expansive...
    Ugh, so annoying when parents think they can just drop off whenever they please like it has no bearing on our day. Put your foot down now (like today!), and let us know how it goes.

apples and bananas
    I simply told mom... No more! My time is my time. I am not accepting past the drop off and they will pick up on time from now on. She was apologetic. I don't think they're going to last long with me. LOL. I think they need centre hours. I am not a daycare centre.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Lou

Good for you A&B In the past I've found that more often than not, when you take a stance and stick to your policies and your convictions, parents respect that and abide by them. That being said, there is still the inconsiderate parent that will move on to the next provider who they hope will be more of a pushover.

Expansive...
    Glad it went well! Hopefully, she abides by it and it's smooth sailing from here on out.