Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Modifying crafts and such for babies

I have a 3, 15mos and 13 mos old with me every day and come the summer my son (5) will join in the fun too! anyways I need ideas on what to do with the babies when I'm doing a craft, painting, puzzle, playdough etc with the big kids. I do all the messy stuff around the kitchen table, and usually have the two babies in high chairs. I've been giving them touch and feel books, cheerios, pudding to finger paint with, but I need more ideas (and preferably ones that don't end up with as horrific a mess as the pudding ). Also would love ideas for crafts and sensory play that can be enjoyed by a 3 year old and 2 babies. so far everyone likes cornstarch goop and playdough (homemade) but the 13 month old especially has to taste everything which makes it a challenge.

Starting to feel at home...
    How about sensory bottles for the little ones?

Some ideas here:
    http://pinterest.com/edytheburroughs/sensory-bottles/

I use smaller bottles for the little ones to fit their hands better and so that they do not get too heavy if they contain liquid.

Also contact paper and items to stick to it are fun non messy sensory/crafty ways to keep them exploring/entertained.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Discoveries For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Personally I am NOT a fan of paints or anything that involves using their fingers and smearing. I have 3 12-15 months in my care and we have enough issues with food smearing and throwing during mealtimes.
    How about colouring? We are just beginning that. Everything goes into the mouth though, they are still too little. There will be lots of time for crafts when the colder weather gets here and we are stuck inside all day because its too cold.
    The sensory bottles do look neat I am going to try them!

Euphoric !
    I'm with Sassygirl on the fingerpainting - I take it one further and do not do crafts with anyone that is not capable of sitting at the play table. In other words for babies sitting in chairs other than a book to play with while waiting they get nothing but food on their trays as it is hard to teach them to distinguish between put this in your mouth, don't put that in your mouth, etc.

I would take advantage of the big kids being busy to set up a confined space for the babies to explore age appropriate toys without having to worry about being stepped on by the big kids but the space needs to be confined such that you can concentrate on the older kids.

Trace of Angels
    How about Sensory ziploc bags. Try hair gel with food colouring, stick in some googly eyes! They will love it. Ziplock bag some rice. Ziploc bag some flour with oil.........the possibilities are endless and the mess is nothing :-)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trace of Angels For This Useful Post: