Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Question Issue with DayCare Boy... Please Help..

So I recently sighned on my last kiddoe on May 20th is when he started..
    There's been issues with him crying, not constantly, but a good part of the day..

He is only 14 months old, but now that I've had him the last 2 weeks almost 3 now.. I am seeing just how big of an age gap 14mths-18mths is and 14mths-22mths is..

All of my kids are aged 18 months-5..

He cries when I need to run up stairs and grab something, when i put him down in the room and walk away, when I reprimand the kids, which sometimes is all day.. I have these older kids and my own child to also pay attention too, I feel like some days this kid is taking up my attention from everyone else..

Does it ever end?? Will he get better??

I'm feeling like I can't take this child constant whining/crying along with my sons whining.. I think my son is going through that separation anxiety stage.. He also freak outs when I leave the room ect ect too..

So what to do?? What to do..

I feel bad, thus family is great pays on time, is never early is actually paying me 100$ more then my monthly fee because they wanted their child in my care, but I just don't know,on the days when he is only here for a half day are great for me I don't feel stressed or anything..

I feel like he is too young for the ages I have.. That us what I told the parents.. That I had another interview with a child that was closer to the ages I had 22 months to be exact.. And I said if I went with the other family it was because of ages..

Then this family sends me an email saying we will pay you 100$ extra for the extra care that our son may require.. I talked it over with the hubby and he said I shoukd take them, they sounded good.. So I did.. Shouda just went with my gut and gone with the older child..

So what do I do now.. The family has sighned a contract.. It is up in June.. I just don't think I'll be able to last that long with all thus crying

Euphoric !
    This is June ..... Do you mean next June ???

Euphoric !
    Each month that you have the child the gap will close and he will learn to play with the other kids. The crying when you leave the room is normal and that too will pass as he feels more comfortable with the group and the surroundings.

There are plenty of activities that they can do together. I have 13 months, 18 months and 19 months plus a 2 year old and a 3 year old. The younger three play blocks, still have a bin of baby toys they can take out and explore and several buckets to put stuff in and out of. The 13 month old and sometimes the 18 month old still have morning naps so during that time the 19 month old plays with the older two kids.

I wouldn't worry about the child not fitting in for play since at this age they still are pretty solitary in their activities so he will be fine if the others are doing their own thing.

Was the child coming from another care situation or are you also dealing with this being first time in care in which case we would allow a 12 month old longer to adjust. Six weeks is not abnormal before you see improvement. I would give it till end of June to see if you see a glimmer of hope or not.

Euphoric !
    Eternal whining and crying can seem like an endless drone, enough to drive you insane. That being said, it's only been a couple of weeks. The fact that the parents offered you a little more money for the extra doting is pretty awesome in my opinion! It sounds like you've landed a golden family. Don't give up on the tyke just yet. I've had some brutal (I do mean BRUTAL) transitions, but in the end, everyone adjusted and all was fine. Sometimes they just need a little more time. I often give substantially more attention to the new ones as well. This is a luxury that every family is afforded to help the child settle in. It does take from the others to a degree, but it's temporary and every parent in my daycare knows the drill. During that time I look for the special thing that will bond the new child to me, whether it's raspberries on the belly button, sharing a snack or humming in his ear as I cuddle him. Every kid is different but on that same token, every kid has at least one thing that really blows his hair back and bonds him to you.

Hang in there

Euphoric !
    Two to three weeks is usually not enough time for them to become totally secure. He will likely improve with time as he gets used to everything and feels secure when you step away from him etc. I find that sometimes it takes months for them to reach that level of security...it just depends on the child. That said, only YOU know how much you can take and how much time you are willing to give it. Personally, I would give it at least a month, but if you can't you can't. Good luck!

Starting to feel at home...
    I had a little one start with me in March who was a constant whiner/crier almost all day just like you have described. It was hard but I stuck it out and now he's great, he plays with the other kids, naps well, eats well and doesn't whine/cry. It took over two months but it's all good now. You just need to give it time, it does get better I promise

Euphoric !
    The good new is that some of the kids that are most intense in their transitions become some of our best kids with the keenest interest in everything we do and a joy to be around. Maybe you can keep that thought in your head as a mantra for a couple more weeks and see how it goes.

Outgoing
    Me, too. I had a little guy start back in March and he screamed from the second he was dropped off until nap time or until he went home. Screaming, crying and whining for two months! But now he's all smiles, and he's happy to be here. It was extremely unpleasant going through it, but I'm glad I stuck it out with him.

Starting to feel at home... zoomama's Avatar
    Do you have a playpen in a separate area so you can give yourself a 5 min time out if you need? I find constant whining/crying SO wearing but even just a few min break can make the transition time more bearable.
    “Children are not a zoo of entertainingly exotic creatures, but an array of mirrors in which the human predicament leaps out at us. ”
    ― John Updike

I had a similar situation he was14mo and I'd leave his side and he would full blown out cry and nap time was horrendous and he would freak at loud noises or if the kids were running.. I finally had to let him go.
    ~Heather~