Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Help!!! Won't stop screaming!!!

So today is my dcb second day he is 15
    Months . His first day on Friday was a little rocky but his mom did one of those lingering goodbyes until he started crying (argghh) This morning wasn't so bad. But he started crying right away. And he hasn't stopped. His parents don't want me to rock him or cuddle him. That's fine but what do I do to make the screaming stop. I have a child lock on my daycare door to the portch and I close it. He just stands at the door and screams because he can't get it open. I've never had a dck that has screamed like this in the morning before. Usually only at pick up because they don't want to go. I just need the screaming to stop!! And how long should he do this before he settles in?? A week? Two weeks. I mean if he does this everyday I'm obviously not a good fit for him right?

Euphoric !
    Fit isn't the problem as the child would be the same no matter where he goes. I would just keep moving him away from the door to the play area as once the door is out of sight it does help to calm them a tad. It could take a few days or a few weeks but I find those that start out so intense get over it faster than the ones that just pout - not that that helps any.

There really is nothing you can do to make him stop as it all has to come from him. While they don't want cuddles you are going to have to make him feel secure so some carrying and touching will go a long way for that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks seems to be working. I think also he's a little tired and teething so that probably has some affect on him too.

Euphoric !
    No cuddling or rocking? Hmmm...that might be tough. I tell parents during interviews and orientation that during transition my motto is 'survival by any means necessary'. If he needs cuddles, he needs cuddles. Just do what you need to do to get him through this traumatic time.

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    Did the parents say why they don't want cuddling or rocking? I understand not wanting that at nap-time, of course, but why wouldn't they want you to give their little guy a cuddle (I don't mean all day) if he needed one to feel a bit more secure, or to bond with you, etc?

apples and bananas
    I had one just like this. She would just stand at the door and cry and scream for mom. The odd time I could get her to sit on my lap and cuddle. For 3 weeks she sat at the door and cried with very few breaks. She would always come for lunch and she would nap fairly well, but as soon as nap was done she was right back at the door. And mom did everything right! No lingering at the door, quick kiss and hug, ect.

She eventually warmed up and the crying started to get less and less. I've had her for over a year and she's one of my favorites.

I think you need to let him work through it. Offer him hugs by the door if that's where he's comfortable. Remind him mommy will be back after nap and continue to remind him that he can come and play whenever he's ready.