Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Want to immediately terminate!

I have been having problems with one specific family and want to call them and immediately terminate our childcare agreement but don't know if it's just me over-reacting. Last Friday I asked the mother to take off her shoes before coming into my house and she had an outburst over it. She threw a fit and left my house that morning after slamming my door. I confronted them about it and reminded them that it is written in my contract that disrespecting me or my family is grounds for immediate termination. Now today they dropped off their son after telling me he had a high fever last night. He seemed fine so I didn't see the need to send him back home. About 20 minutes after he got here he started having diarrhea. I called the mother around lunch and asked her to pick him up because he had diarrhea. The dad came and was clearly not happy to have to leave work. He was rude and just said ''so all he has is diarrhea? I don't consider that sick at all''. I had to bring up the contract that they signed and that diarrhea means their son stays home but he was just ignoring me and didn't say anything. Then he slammed my door in a fit. That's both parents now in less than a week that have slammed my door! I want to call them right now and terminate. Am I over-reacting? It has been one thing after another with them. Just getting wipes for their son has been a struggle. It's not that his fit was such a huge outburst but it's just the fact that 6 days ago I had to give them a warning and specifically say that one more act of being disrespectful would mean immediate termination. What would you all do?

If they were my clients I would terminate.

Ugh. Me too - as in, don't bother showing up at my house tomorrow.

Terminate ASAP. If it states in your contract, use your backbone and Terminate!

If they ask for reasons:
    1. You asked her to respect your home by taking off her shoes.
    2. She had a fit, THEN slammed the door.
    3. You're a bit in the wrong by taking the child after knowing the child had a high fever, but that's besides the point. You called and wanted parent to pick up child as child was sick. They had a fit.
    4. Slammed the door again.

For my daycare it's 3 strikes and you're gone. That's 4 right there.....TERMINATE NOW!

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    They would be out of here so fast. It is your home and they have the nerve to be disrespectful like that ?

That is unacceptable not to mention a horrible example for every child in your daycare. If I was a parent who's child attended your daycare and found out there that there was a parent that was that out of control (slamming doors) around my child I would change daycare if that continued !
    Kick that trash out .

I agree with everyone else here.

I treat my parents respectfully and pride myself on not raising my voice. If someone had the nerve to do so to me, in my own house/place of business, and infront of clients (other DCKs) then they would be terminated.

You gave them a warning. Now you need to follow through on the punishment you promised.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Well they are gone! I called the mom and told her I had no choice but to terminate and she didn't really sound like she cared. All she said was ok and then I asked if she could either mail or drop off what she owes me and she said she would after work tonight. So I'm not sure if they already have another home daycare or what but it didn't really seem to bother her at all. I just hope she comes like she said to pay. I didn't want it to come to this because I really like their son and because I do need that spot filled but I don't know what else I could have done. I can't keep giving out warnings.

Congrats and good for you! You'll appreciate your decision soon enough!

Expansive...
    Hugs Marie, what a crapy situation for them to put you in. How rude of you to ask her to take her shoes off! LOL Just kidding How rude of her to not do it automatically!

Huge pat on the back for stnading up to them! I hope they paid you?

Yes they did pay me. But she said before she pays me she would like the original contract that they signed for her ''own peace of mind''. I have no clue why she would need that and I hope I did the right thing in giving it to her. I do have a copy of the signed contract but I no longer ever have to deal with them so I don't know what she would need with that.