Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seriously?! Have to beg for diapers?

It never fails to amaze me in the 3 years that I've been doing this the behaviour of various parents I've had over the years.

I've started a new family a month ago. Well educated and both parents in very good positions. Since day one they have been bringing in 2 to 3 diapers a day for their 2 yr old child. It is stated in my contract and after repeatedly writing down on their daily reports "Need more diapers" they still only allot 2/3 diapers a day. They've told me from day 1 "We only change her twice a day " Today at drop off I spoke to dcd. Told him I need a minimum of 4 diapers a day. This also elevates the need to remind parents 2 or 3 times a week that I need diapers. Told him that all my daycare families leave a package of diapers here. His response "Well, we don't change pee diapers" What?! Well, sorry here at daycare I don't leave a child in a "Pee" diaper. Especially girls. Told him I have scheduled changes and of course, if there is an immediate need for a diaper change.

So he reluctantly handed over exactly 20 diapers for 1 week ( 4 per day). He was not happy. What's wrong with people? Seriously dcd it's not like I'm using them for any other reason then to diaper your child's tushie

Expansive...
    So weird!!! They just let her sit in a pee diaper until it explodes? All my parents bring those huge Walmart boxes!!

That is the most disgusting thing! They don't change pee diapers?! Wow! Are they seriously that cheap???!!!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Wow, lazy cheap parenting. I think we have all encountered the heavy pee diaper, especially after nap. Do they know what kind of strain this causes on these young backs?

Outgoing
    I'd be embarrassed if someone thought I didn't change my kids often enough. I for sure wouldnt have protested it. Makes you wonder how often the children are bathed and their nails clipped. Yuck.

Good for you for being insistent! It would reflect poorly if another parent came for pickup and could smell this child's pee diaper, so I'm glad he finally decided to give in.

Starting to feel at home...
    Oh my! I think that is one of the dumbest most irrational things I have ever heard from a parent!!

Maybe they should try potty training her? Oh, wait...that would mean they would have to change wet undies if she had an accident.....LOL!!

I see nothing but issues with this family....

Euphoric !
    I totally get where they are coming from and truthfully the diaper quality has been improved to the point it is not necessary to change kids every 2 hours like we did with cloth diapers or the older dispoables. In theory the diapers are designed to hold 3 full wettings. This works for some kids but not others of course. It could be that the child piddles more than does a complete soak at a time and therefore it will hold more. There is no reason to be grossed out by a child in a peed diaper - they wear the same one all night long and pee at least a couple times in it.

Having said that leaving a bag of diapers at my house is the only option because I do not have time to go searching in diaper bags every day and need them at the ready in the drawers by the change table. Unless the child actually poops in the middle of the day and you can't adjust the time for diaper changes to take this into consideration there is little reason to need more than 3 per day 9am, 12 am, 3pm works fine for me most days. The one year olds yes may need late morning and before nap too but older children probably not.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree with play felt .... The diapers of today specifically pampers are 12-hour diapers and my own children would sleep all night between 11-12 hours and not be changed. Only time they ever leaked was when I needed to go up a size. I change my dcks twice at 11 (right before lunch) and after nap. If they poop in between those times then of course I change it right away. Most of the time there is barely anything in it and I have never had a dck with diaper even remotely close to doing damage to a child's back.

apples and bananas
    I check them at 10 before outside to see if they need a change. I change at lunch, after nap regardless of if they need it or not. I find the diapers bunch when they sleep... that can't be comfy. and I check them again at 4 to see if they need a clean one before they go home. And poops of course when they happen.

Its so odd that they're trying to limit diaper changes when I would assume most parents would be concerned if their child wasn't changed enough.

I would just let them know that you don't intend to use all 4 every day, but you don't want to be caught short if she has an off day. What if she comes down with diarrhea? YOu have to be prepared.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    on average I use about 3 diapers but some need more, but it depends on the kids. But I don't change every 2 hours. Most don't even pee in 2 hours.